Sign in to follow this  
javihammer

Unit 23N Archery Bull Advice

Hello,

My uncle Jeff just turned 60 last month. He usually applies in the 5 and 6 units with my Dad and I but decided to apply solo this year and drew a 23N archery bull tag (crazy huh? – there are only 15 tags). Unit 23 is not a unit that my family knows much about. I have no idea what possessed him to go off the program and apply for 23. He has been bowhunting for a long time with little success and is in pretty good hiking shape. He will likely be hunting solo or with my 63 year old Dad this year. He is a good guy and is usually the person that shows up to pull everyone else out of mudholes in the middle of the night. The term “give you the shirt off his back” definitely applies to him.

Anyway, my Dad just called and told me that my uncle has been scouting fairly hard but is still a little lost. He would probably be elated to kill just about any legal bull, a mature bull would probably put him on overload. If anyone has some info that could help him out or will be in the unit and could keep an eye out for him please pm me (or I could give you his number or ??). I guess he plans to camp on the 109 road south of highway 260, he will be in a small Carson toyhauler. I know asking for help days before a hunt is lame but this is probably the best chance he will ever have to kill an elk and I just found out he was struggling. Good luck to all the other elk hunters out there.

Thanks,

Ryan

I just had a chance to check this post and my IM mailbox and there were a couple tips and offer to chat with my uncle. Way more than I expected and an indication that there are some pretty good people on this website. My uncle doesnt deserve the help but he could certainly use it. The ball is now in his court to execute.

Thanks and I will certainly try to make an effort to reciprocate whenever I can.

Good luck out there,

Ryan