Sign in to follow this  
maloney2121

My version of the ol' mans hunt unit 10 1st part

couldn't help but bring this up again and tell my version of this amazing hunt. If you don't mind hearing about the same hunt again just from another perspective continue on reading. Don't know about the rest you folks but I never turn down a huntin story even if I heard it a million times. I have to start out saying first of all for those who never hunted antelope and hope to do a DIY hunt I can respect that but understand this is not deer hunting and you may think you covered a lot of ground but you have to realize if you think you drove enough or covered enough ground I can bet it was nowhere near the area an experience antelope hunter would consider enough ground covered. Putting a 100+ miles was not uncommon it seemed and that's all miles in the field no highway miles. When I first laid eyes on the big sky country it was truly an understatement. It seemed like we never found an antelope under a 1000 yards. Our first trips scouting our confidence level went from bad butt trophy hunters to quickly realizing we may be Photoshoping some horns on parrie dog if were gonna want to show any pictures. I had my moments I wondered if this was worth waiting the 17 years my dad waited but no way grandma Maloney raised no quitters. We took 5 days before the hunt to figure it out and hopefully have a game plan for opening day and let me tell you you can never scout to much for a hunt. Everyday our confidence went up and it only got better and better the closer we got to hunt. I can't leave out the great show a couple archery hunters put on for us. Never seen someone dress like an antelope and while stocking on all fours stop when the animals look their way and move their heads around in the grass as if they were grazing. Pretty wild watching that thru the 15's. Anyhow on day 3 we finally found that Buck that made us say at the same time "WOW" so that's what we named our Buck (other being "costume" Buck cause the guys in the antelope suits were going after him) we focused on him and luckily found him everyday day and snapped a couple live pictures of him. First time for that and I think that can be as fun as shooting them with a gun when you shooting for the perfect picture. Opening day at that point couldn't come quick enough

post-1878-0-86200500-1380550000_thumb.jpg

post-1878-0-72541700-1380550248.jpg

post-1878-0-55435900-1380559377.jpg

• Like 1