Sign in to follow this  
Grey Hawk

New mex. otc deer tags

well I did'nt draw a tag this year so I plan on going to New Mexico to hunt,anyone have Info on prices and areas .

Good luck to all on the hunt :o

The license is $190 for a non-resisdent. You can buy the tag online from the G&F or from any license vedor (Walmart) when you get here. Most of the Coues deer in NM are in scattered pockets and several days of scouting should be planned if you are going to be successful. Good luck and maybe I can help out more when the time comes.

Kevin

Guest Lark Hubbard

the muzzleloader hunt in new mex is a good hunt. it's towards the end of september. uasually last 10 days or so. nice weather and the deer are calm. never shot a coues on it, but have seen them. my son saw a really good one a couple years ago, but didn't get it. i think where we usually hunt is region I. from pueblo park road north to way past luna. big area.

Gray Hawk,

The dates are pretty variable depending on unit. The only units with Coues deer for rifle hunts are Nov. 3-5, or Nov. 10-14. Bow Season is Aug. 28-Sept. 16 and Jan 8-16. Muzzleloader is Sept. 27-Oct. 3. NMG&F's web address is www.wildlife.state.nm.us All of the specifics on dates and unit stuff is on there. Good luck.

Lark,

I'm glad to see you have settled down a little. You're probably a nice enough guy when you're not eatin' gunpowder for breakfast. I hope the threats you have made are idle and that you will allow a non-resident to enjoy his/her hunt. Thanks.

By the way, how different are the ballistics between your 270 and your sons 270WSM?

Kevin

Guest Lark Hubbard

i ain't settled down a bit. and i never threatened anyone. but i will not tolerate uso. or anyone else babying around dudes from some foreign place. they best stay away from me. most of their so called guides know me. they can go around. i've always been real tolerant of people wanting to hunt. even if they were where i wanted to be. it used to be a free country. now it's a little freer for nonresidents and i don't like it. and i won't help em in any way. i've never turned down some one that needed a hand. loan em a horse, of give em some advice or whatever. not anymore. worst thing that bothers me is that i know some decent guys are gonna let their emotions get the best of em and get in trouble. most outfitters i've seen do a sorry job for their clients anyway. there's a few that try hard. so the clients are probably gonna have an even crappier experience than usual, because instead of one guide for 3 or 4 hunters, there will 4 or 5 hunters per guide. most of uso's guides have never even shot an elk anyway. their clients will get what they deserve. 40 hunters, 8 guides, one crappy cook, no horses and about 6 tents. this year is just one little bump. the coming years are the ones that will tell the tale.

the wsm is about 200 fps quicker than a regular .270. the way i load mine, probably about 100 fps difference. with 140's anyway. the short mag is just about equal to a 270 weatherby. with 110 gr bullets it's a real scorcher.

Well good luck in New Mexico, you are one of the best deer hunters I know so i'm sure you will not have a problem bagging a nice buck! Remember HUNT HARD OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King of Coues