diablo

unit 7m,7w elk help

Hi,

My uncle and his youngest son drew unit 7W Nov Elk tags Bull. The tag is his

sons first and his in some years. He will be coming up here to flagstaff several times before the hunt to scout but hasn't hunted this unit before.

I live here(going to school) and thought I would get a head start on the scouting but I don't really know much myself. I have maps for 7W and am hoping someone could point me to a starting point?

If anyone would be willing to also do this for the 7m archery hunt I would be very thankful as well. A friend drew the 7m archery (non res) on his first try in the real drawing and lives in Utah. I will be tagging along with him as well.(no tags for anything for me).

I will be doing a lot of walking and glassing and driving before these hunts, I am not asking for any honey holes or secrets just a starting point or general places to get a feel for the place.

I spend most of my time in 5b volunteering at a ranch throughout the year so I don't get around much directly around the Flagstaff area.

Thanks allot

Derrick Stone

Dstone@uneedspeed.net

Diablo

Derek,

I use to go to school at NAU and those units were my first two choices. For the 7W hunt, really anywhere northwest of Bellmont will hold elk. There is a gas line pump station out near the intersections of the 171 and 222 roads and I have chased several elk around there with my bow. Be careful in those areas since there are some houses in the forest. My experience in 7W is archery only and would suspect that once the snow starts flying you might want to look at the northwest corner of the unit in areas between Williams and Valle in the cedars.

I have hunted 7M for elk only once, but had a great time. My brother and I chased a 360 class bull one morning just south of wing mountain near the gasline that runs through there. I also that several people hunt the area around the airport, but I don't know much about that area. There seems to be more forest service land on the western part of 7M, but know your boundaries. Last fall, I had a 7W cow tag and spent most of my last morning trying to get some elk out of 7M and into 7W in the northwest corner of 7M.

Hope this helps. Since I didn't get drawn this year, hopefully I can help someone that did out so they can have a good hunt.

Dodger

Guest usafr

I would hunt the golf courses in the Country Club area. Especially later in the season!!!!!! I have also seen some nice bulls from snowbowl to the north end of the mountains near Kendrick Park.