Sign in to follow this  
Garmin

Quick Tips: Jason Christie Shares Scent Control Secret

6a00d83451bb7069e201bb0882d3ee970d-600wi

By: Jason Christie

I bow hunt 99% of the time â the only time I rifle hunt is when I take my kids. One of my biggest concerns when bow hunting is scent, which also happens to be one of the toughest variables to control. Many years ago, I noticed that whenever I hunted out of a cedar tree, the deer didnât smell me as much. When we get around cedars, we can smell it; so if we can smell it, the deer can definitely smell it.

There is one thing that I will almost always do when walking to my tree stand. If I happen to get close to a cedar tree, I will actually back up into it as hard as I can, and just like a big bear would do, Iâll put the limbs under my arms and scratch my back on it. I just get that cedar smell all over myself. I really think that helps with covering up scent. Itâs something that Iâve been doing for a long time.

In addition to that, I keep all of my hunting clothes in a big toolbox in the back of my truck, and a few years ago, I bought a big bag of cedar chips and I keep them at the bottom of the toolbox with my clothes. I used to use cedar limbs, but those would get dry and sharp and get in your clothes. The cedar chips last longer, work better, and donât make a mess all over your clothes.

Next time youâre hunting deer and stumble across a cedar tree, release your inner bear and get up in there. You can thank me later.

Follow Garmin Fish & Hunt on social media and share your fishing and hunting photos with us using #FishGarmin and #HuntGarmin.

GarminOnTheTrail?d=yIl2AUoC8zA GarminOnTheTrail?d=qj6IDK7rITs

View the full article

Sign in to follow this