Sign in to follow this  
bdrake

Got drawn for Burro Mts.

Well, I didn't, but a friend of mine did...the first year he's ever applied. Anyway, I've been tooling around in other units chasing mulies...what can you guys tell me about the Burro Mts. of Unit 23? Is it basically a dedicated Coues' hunt? Is the terrain open and glassable, or choked-out forest? Any input you guys have, pictures, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated. What a good friend I am to research his hunt, huh?

Brian

Welcome to the site...

Hunting the Burros you have a great chance of knocking down a monster... It is an opportunity your buddy needs to take advantage of... there is a guy that Advertising DIY hunting on this site.. His name is Tommy.. He is the man when it comes to coues in the burros... He posted some pictures of some monsters that he has scouted..

I think his website is

www.gilawildernesshunting.com

jason

Your buddy will have the opportunity to kill a record bood buck, either Mule deer or Coues. Which hunt did he draw, bow or rifle? Either way there is glassable country and there are areas you can't see 5 yards. Do some scouting and you will find what you are looking for.

Kevin

Thanks guys! I started hunting Coues' (rifle & bow) about 9 years ago in AZ in Units 29, 30A & B. I started applying for 27 and 23 "Burro Mts." in NM, but haven't been drawn. Then my partner (local Game Warden) puts in and gets drawn for the Burro Mts. hunt the first time he puts in. I figured I'd do all the research in hopes that I'll get drawn myself someday.

Brian

Thats cool! I live next to the burros and I can tell you I've seen 30 inch mulies in there but I also have a friend that killed a 102 inch coues.It's a pretty thick place but you just need to get up high.