WCarson33

Deal Breakers, Necessities and Bonus Features

Just moved to Arizona so I am extremely green when it comes to this kind of hunting; naturally the first thing I am going to purchase will be a strong GPS. It seem most people suggest the Garmin 62st and 64st but why?

What do ya'll look for when purchasing a GPS? What are the deal breakers, necessities and the bonus features? I am a firm believer that you do not want to skimp when it comes to good hunting equipment but I also don't need unnecessary bells and whistles to keep up with the Joneses that just add cost.

I know a lot of guys, myself included, like the Garmin Rino series GPS units because of their two-way radio feature and the capability to transmit your location to a hunting partner with a similar device (obviously you can receive their location as well). This feature combo is borderline essential to me when hunting with a friend or a small group. I've got outdated gear and still use the Rino 130 which lacks decent memory (I think it has 16mb or something), I can only load one or two topo maps on that one, but the backup Rino 120 only has 8mb so sometimes it can't even handle one topo. Neither the 130 or 120 have a color display and battery life is mediocre.

When I'm not hunting with a friend I use a Garmin etrex20 which can store the topos for a few states and has only one joystick-style button to navigate most menus. Battery life is awesome with that unit because it doesn't power the radio and all that. It's also very small and has a color screen. It's a pretty bare bones GPS unit with excellent reception that gets the job done for me.

To get to your question, my decision for a GPS would focus a lot on whether I want the two-way radio and send/receive location feature. Next would be storage, but just about all of the new units should be fine with memory. Battery life and durability. Price will obviously play a huge role.

I don't need touchscreens, satellite images, or map packages (you can find a lot of the maps for free at gpsfiledepot.com).

I rambled a bit but I hope this helps!