Sign in to follow this  
Garmin

Jason Christie: Panoptix, LakeVü HD Ultra will play key roles in my Classic

6a00d83451bb7069e201bb08c154a1970d-600wi

Weâre two days away from the start of the 2016 Bassmaster Classic on Grand Lake Oâ the Cherokees in northeast Oklahoma, and because I live in nearby Park Hill and have had some tournament success on that lake in the past, a lot of people are picking me as the favorite.

Well, the truth is, I havenât fished Grand Lake nearly as much in the past seven or eight years because Iâve been traveling around the country on the Bassmaster Elite Series and FLW Tour. Grand is my âhome lakeâ, but Iâm not a regular on that lake anymore.

One other thing to keep in mind: because of the amount of rain weâve had this winter, the conditions on Grand are going to be different March 4-6 than theyâve ever been. That means that the 54 other Classic competitors and I will have to do some ârelearningâ on the fly when we show up for practice, and I feel like I have a distinct advantage there with my Garmin electronics.

Two keys: the mapping capabilities on my GPSMAP 7600xsv series units, and Garmin Panoptix.

6a00d83451bb7069e201b8d1a6a9a9970c-600wi

Mapping

Garmin surveyed Grand Lake in 2015 as part of the LakeVü HD Ultra cards, and when Garmin puts survey boats on a lake to scan it, they donât leave a square inch of it un-surveyed. LakeVü HD Ultra gives you MaxDef, which are the lakes that Garmin surveyed, HD (1-foot) contours, High Resolution Relief and shallow-water shading, 3D MarinerEye and FishEye views, surface and side scan photos ⦠itâs the most complete underwater âpictureâ you can possibly develop of a lake.

There are voids in other mapping software, but LakeVü HD Ultra covers everything you could possibly want to know about what a lake looks like underwater. The detail and accuracy are amazing.

When I scanned Grand Lake before it went off-limits in December, I found a bunch of stuff I didnât even know was there. Now granted, some of that new stuff was in open water and that might not come into play in early March, but I can tell you for sure that I found some things on that lake in December that I never knew existed.

Panoptix
Iâve forgotten a lot of little detail stuff about Grand Lake â thatâs just what happens when youâre not fishing a lake every other week like I did 10 years ago. I have a whole bunch of spots and general areas where I know fish should be, but I just canât remember what my exact âlineâ was 10 years ago, when I fished the lake all the time.

Panoptix will let me go to a 100-yard stretch of bank that I remember from 10 years back, and really key in on the two, maybe three specific little areas where I know Iâve caught fish in years past. The Panoptix LiveVü Forward transducer on my trolling motor will allow me to scan each individual break and tell me exactly how I want to fish that break without ever having to idle over it.

Just looking at my GPSMAP 7610xsv on my front deck, Iâll be able to figure out the depth that fish are relating to on a break, and Iâll have a detailed picture in my head of how I want to fish that area. Heck, I might even find some things I didnât know existed. There might be a new piece of structure in one of my old haunts that a crappie angler put in the lake, and Iâll be able to see that better thanks to Panoptix.

If I can put an extra fish or two in the livewell every day at the Classic by paying attention to what my electronics are telling me, thatâll be extremely valuable to me.

Want more of the latest news and updates from Garmin hunting and fishing pros? Follow us at: @garminfishhunt on Twitter and Instagram, and on Facebook @Garmin Fish & Hunt. Donât forget to tag us using #FishGarmin or #HuntGarmin for a chance to be featured on our channel!

Photos courtesy of Joel Shangle

Related articles
GarminOnTheTrail?d=yIl2AUoC8zA GarminOnTheTrail?d=qj6IDK7rITs

View the full article

Sign in to follow this