Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Unit 18A Antelope

Any suggestions. I've spent the last 3 weekends up there and have seen many bucks, but ZERO shooters.

I 've checked these areas so far:

Williamson Valley Road - One buck seen, many houses and lot's of posted land. Looks like there should be many more goats here that there are.

Chino Wash - Several bucks, all dinks so far. Lots of water here though and the grass is green and thick.

Markham Well / Sugarloaf Mountain - Most goats of any place I've checked. Only big one I saw was was on the XI Ranch and off limits.

My next stop is Truxson flats and spots off of US66 headed to Peach Springs.

Anyone know of any out of the way areas that might hold some goats? I'm getting desperate. THere's got to be one biggun in there somewhere. The rut is starting to kick in, maybe that will bring a big one out.

One note: I looked at an estimated 200 antelope in 3-4 days of scouting and saw ZERO fawns and 15-20 fat coyotes. Sad.

Truxson Flats on the east side in the thick cedars and close to the indian res. fence always holds some big bucks.They hold out a lot in the thick stuff so you have to spend some time.

Truxson Flats on the east side in the thick cedars and close to the indian res. fence always holds some big bucks.They hold out a lot in the thick stuff so you have to spend some time.

Thanks!

That's actually good they are in the trees, I have the ML'er tag and need to get fairly close.

Thanks again.

[/quote

Noel,

Do not want to hijack this thread but are you the one who caught that huge striper??

Keep after it, you will find a buck. I have a rifle antelope tag and have been scouting at least 2 times a week since I found out I was drawn. Like you say, the rut is just barely getting going so the big boys will come out. I was in a valley last evening with water, knee high grass and perfect cover that just had to hold several nice bucks. We glassed it for over an hour with nothing in sight. I too have seen lots of antelope in my previous outings, with an unusual number of fawns. I find it odd that you arent seeing any in your neck of the woods.Maybe less moisture out your way. My son had the same tag last year and we didnt see any fawns, but there are at least 4-7 in each group of does we see this year.

I do have one nice buck spotted that is an area where no one will see him, probably go 82. I'm hopin to tag him at first light. when I do, I hope to post some pics....

Good luck on your Muzzy tag

Ron

Going back up there tomorrow to check out Truxson.

Anyone ever seen any goats off Hackberry Road on the far western edge of 18A?

Well, I made the long run up to Truxson Flats. Huge, open country, but Lopes are few and far between there. Seems like there should be many more antelope there. Saw what looked to be a decent buck, but he was real far away with rain coming down hard. Several average bucks also, but nothing worthy of the tag, IMO.

I still have hopes of hunting a mid 80's buck, I know for a fact they are in there.

It is tough over there this year :( I have thew unit 10 and 18 Archery tag that starts on Friday. We have looked at around 100 bucks between the units and only found one that I feel would go 80". We have seen a couple of bucks that were seen last year, and they are smaller than last year :( Drought I suspect <_< Good luck and and keep on it!

Lance

Yep.The farther west you go in the state the more the drought has effected.I put in for 18a muzzleloader,and am kind of glad I did not get drawn with a lot of bonus points.

Well, I didn't burn alot of BP on this one, only 6, but it's the only tag I drew.