Sign in to follow this  
Bughalli

How was the elk season AZ Unit 1 so far?

How was the Sept. rut hunt this year in Unit 1? I hunted SW Colorado mid Sept and it was very quiet (ate tag soup). Curious what others ran into in AZ, maybe a late rut year. I drew the late archery tag in early Nov. for Unit 1. I won't be able to scout, so trying to learn about the area ahead of time. How is the moisture in Unit 1 (looks pretty dry)? Is it worth hunting tanks? Are the burn areas from the Wallow fire in 2011 huntable for archery or has it grown up thick already? Maybe I'll get lucky and find a cow coming into second estrus (one can only dream).

I'll be hunting solo and camping (others are welcome to join if interested). Some guys have said it's a tough, tough hunt, where others said I should get into bulls if I find glassing points. It should be post rut, which will be challenging. Any thoughts on hunting high vs on the rolling hills of the mesa? Just trying to narrow things down.
PM me if willing to share any info. Hope you're having a great season!

Boy, people are hush, hush on this subject. not sure why. I tried to get a little help also with no luck.

my wife and I went out on the early black powder hunt. the hunt was great there was still a lot of rut activity going on and the number of bulls we saw was amazing. we just could not find much over 300. we finally found one on the second to last day that was about a 370 and fighting everything in sight. She just could not close the deal and went home with an unfilled tag. Must say that it was the finest elk activity we have ever been a part of.

I have 16 points for next year and am hoping that it is my turn to dance with the bulls!