Sign in to follow this  
acharenio

BLIND QUESTION

i have a technical question . how far in advance do you set up your blind? a week, 2 weeks, and what do you do to the blind

do you spray it to kill the scent or you put branches and leaves from trees nearby.

it will be apreciated any input on this issue.

thank you and Merry chistmas and a Happy new Year.

Remo

I have set up pop ups as early as 3 weeks before the hunt and as little as 1 day and have not had any problem

with seeing critters. Make sure you set it up with a good back drop (if possible) and brush it in. Also pay attention to

the prevailing winds although they usually change on you most of the time. Also make sure to leave all the shooting windows closed behind you to keep it as dark as possible on the inside.

If it is brand new out of the box, I would recommend you set it up in the yard and "air it out". Maybe give it a liberal spraying. Then some of the "new" smell will be taken care of. When you brush it in use foliage that has some aromatic value, juniper and/or sage seems to aromitize well. Once I used cow pies to aid in scent masking. They were all around the water tank and I just busted them up and tossed some in around the blind. My biggest concern about setting them up in advance is no way to secure them from being taken or moved. I only leave them up while I am utilizing the area to avoid theft.

GOOD LUCK and Merry Christmas to you as well.

Good advice above... Double Bull says the whitetail is one of the only animals that will avoid a blind on a same day set-up.. That being said, I've set one up in the morning and had over 50 Coues come to water within sight of it. Course the biggest buck was in the mid 70's ;)

what we have done with my blinds is set them up one week before or the day before. we usually put some brush around it just so it blends in a little more.

Troy

i usually putem out a week to 2 weeks early, i spay them down with a scent killer and brush'em in real good.

good luck and good hunting