Sign in to follow this  
CouesRanger

Bowhunt

Just wanted to pass on the exciting hunt me and some buddies had this weekend!

On Saturday afternoon I loaded up the my trailer with the ranger and headed up to the spot to meet one of my hunting partners and a buddy of his from work. Now they had been up there at 5:30 that morning and spotted a spike and doe but were unable to access the normal area because they couldn't get their quads loaded in the morning. So I show up and we all pile on to the ranger and start to make our way back into our area. We are lucky enough to see a two pointer moving across in front of us. My buddy knows the area has some nice bucks and was holding out for one of them so passed him up and his buddy had gotten his first mule deer (a two Point) in Kaibab back in September so he passed as well. Could have gotten in front of this buck easily. But we move along

We travel for a few miles on some rough road and get to a good vantage point and start glassing. Spot some deer well over a thousand yards away but didn't have a spotting scope to pick apart the antlers from the limbs behind them. Really a big bodied deer though, who knows! Ended up sitting around there and watched them for a while before we started to make our way back. It was getting kind of chilly now that the sun was behind the mountains and we really weren't anticipating what was about to happen. As we passed this mountainside we commonly see deer on this deer starts to run along side us in the ranger, I stop leave the ranger running. The deer stops 35 yards from us its a nice two pointer good splits and giving us a pretty close shot. The deer moves up the hill and I am thinking he is out of here but once again he stops at 45 yard. My buddy is ranging him while his buddy is getting the arrow knocked and ready, the deer moves up a little bit, he shoots! Right under his belly:) Man it was close though. We figured he had walked a little farther back than we thought before we had a chance to re range him. Yeah this buck through it in our face too, went out to 72 yards broadside and just gave us another look before he made his way up the hill with his four does.

My buddies and I have been up in this area quite often over the last couple years and this trip we were the closest to coues buck. Usually rifle hunting in this area. Fun times and hoping to go do it again in a couple weeks. Hope to get one then and show you guys some pics!

Good luck guys and we better see some pics soon!

THE ONLY WAY I KNOW TO HARVEST A COUES BUCK W/ BOW, IS TO DO WHAT IT IS YOUR DOING! GET IN THE WOODS AND TRY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, PERSISTENCE MAN, GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES.