Sign in to follow this  
mrodri30

Elk hunting Idaho (wolves)

Hey guys just got back from a 8 day ID hunt in zone 43. Hunted as hard as you can hunt but didn't see an elk until day 5. What's odd was the elk were not bugling at all. My buddy and I visited the local bar and were told because of the wolves the elk go quiet. I have never heard of this but it make sense. Everywhere we went we ran into wolf and bear crap. 

We hunted hard and were all over the west side of the unit. Day 5 we spotted a small bull but he was not with cows and there were diffidently cows in the area. Day 6 we went after another bull without cows but struck out. It was a heck of a hunt but might as well have been rifle hunt.

ID is no joke and I didn't know that hunting during the rut could be so quiet when wolves are in the area. Anyway hope everyone had better luck than I did. I hope to have better luck hunting Coues deer here back in AZ in unit 27!

Talked to several guys while I was in Idaho on vacation & they say the wolves have really changed the way the elk move around & communicate. 

The wolves have decimated several herds & residents are very glad wolves can now be hunted. They would like to see them wiped out as they

do severe damage to the elk & deer.