Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Stuffed Summer Squash

Stuffed some Zucchini with Dove Italian Sausage (see prior recipe posted link below) and Sweet Potato.  I have made this stuffing yellow squash, patty pan squash, cabbage, bell peppers, etc.  I have used butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.  Very adaptable recipe.

I don't always measure so here is the rough idea.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1lb Italian Sausage (medium spicy for me)  I always use game sausage so add oil if needed.  If you use pork, drain excess fat after cooking.

3 medium small Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into 1/4 cubes (slightly smaller?)

1 medium onion cut into 1/4 cubes (slightly smaller?)

3 Tbs fresh basil chiffonade (minced or chopped small ok as well)

1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded low moisture mozzarella

1/4 cup shredded parmesan

3 cloves of garlic minced

garlic salt to taste

Brown Italian sausage place in a large mixing bowl

Sauté sweet potatoes in neutral flavor oil (i use avocado but vegetable oil is ok) place in a large mixing bowl with sausage

Sauté onions until almost translucent add garlic and sauté 1 minute or two place in a large mixing bowl with sausage and sweet potatoes

Add basil and mozzarella and mix with sausage, sweet potatoes and onions

Slice Zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds to create boats.  Place on cookie sheets lined with foil.  Salt lightly with garlic salt and stuff with sausage mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (longer for bigger squash).  Check squash for doneness, should be tender firm and not squishy.  Top with Parmesan cheese and bake until melted.  

Great make ahead meals for busy nights or pack along to work for lunch.  They microwave well and might be better that way!!!

PXL_20210418_172607319.jpg

PXL_20210419_162210380.jpg

• Like 2