bowsniper

Robbins Butte Youth Dove Hunt

I'm going to take my boys out the Robbins Butte Youth Dove Hunt this weekend. Has anyone been out to this annual event? Would Saturday or Sunday would be better, how early to get there, or any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

Best of luck to you and your boys out there Mark! I live close to there and it is a very neat place. Definitely get there an hour before sunup so you are not rushing to find a spot, and DEFINITELY use flashlights, drag your feet, and be very carefull if you have to go into the thick stuff on the sides of the roads to retrieve a bird! There are lots of rattlers out there, you'll see what I'm talking about where the thick stuff is and it's almost inevitable a bird will drop in there :( Again, best of luck, JIM>

Here's a couple pics taken inside the Robbins Butte Preserve.......

Sidewinder.....

Winder3.jpg

Gila in the flats....

Gila1.jpg

Gila on the rock....

Gila9.jpg

Western Diamondback......

Rattler11.jpg

Mohave Rattlesnake.....

z126.jpg

Hope this doesn't keep ya from going, just a heads up to keep an eye out! These critters are anywhere, not just there. Good luck, JIM>

Hey Mark, I just read that you have to get to the Wildlife area by 4:00 am on either Sat. or Sun. as they are "assigning" shooting stations at that time. The Chandler Rod and Gun club is helping and will have a pancake and sausage breakfast for everyone also! I would guess that to get a good shooting station it's probably adviseable to be there early. OR.......you could drive past (around) the Wildlife area, and head further West and find your "own" shooting station off the refuge! There will be doves flying out of the salt cedars in the river bed all the way along it to the west. The Wildlife are has planted feilds within it's boundary, so it is probably the place to be for the best action for the kids. Again, good luck. JIM>

It has been a few years since I've been out there, but I've gone out there a few times and ran my dog (lab) for the kids to pick up their birds if/when they shot any. They assign shooting stations like Jim said. You can always move down to an unmanned station if the shooting isn't good where you are at. Phil Smith runs the place out there and is doing a top notch job with the place. He's made several improvements over the last few years.

There should be a lot of dove flying around. The kids have always had a great time from what I've seen. They usually have biologists out there to age the doves and give other information on them as well. Have fun and don't forget your eye/ear protection.