Sign in to follow this  
cubsfan

Hunting near bedding area?

When I was out this past weekend I jumped a handful of deer in their beds. 2 groups were about 200 yards apart. 5 does, one spike. It was midday, next to a wash with a couple springs in the wash. So I was wondering: 1) Do they use the same bedding area everyday? 2) Do they have 'primary' bedding areas for certain times of the day, ie resting and sleeping? 3) Being they are next to water I am guessing they will be there regulary. How would you hunt them? Glass in the AM and try and find them in the area? How much will they move during the day right now?

Anyway, my thought is to get up high in the am and glass and they will be going back there in the afternoon. Then intercept them. Is that my best bet? Thanks in advance!

Sit the water.... ;)

There are a few good pools in the wash. From the first to the last, about 500 yards or so. I know they are using it, but is it worth the chance that they go to a different pool further down? The water trickles down a long way.

Sit the water.... ;)

There are a few good pools in the wash. From the first to the last, about 500 yards or so. I know they are using it, but is it worth the chance that they go to a different pool further down? The water trickles down a long way.

Well, if you can see tracks around each of the water sources, see which is most used and sit there.

Or do like you suggested and get a pattern figured out by glassing them. They won't necessarily use the same bedding or feeding areas everyday, but they might be tied to a certain watering hole.

Amanda

Sit the water.... ;)

Well, if you can see tracks around each of the water sources, see which is most used and sit there.

Or do like you suggested and get a pattern figured out by glassing them. They won't necessarily use the same bedding or feeding areas everyday, but they might be tied to a certain watering hole.

Amanda

I should have clarified a little. Each 'hole' I am talking about is only a foot or so across. There were some fresh tracks around. Nothing major. But since we kicked up a couple groups, there are at least some hanging around there. I just dont know how often they are in the area and how likely I am to find them even near there again. Amanda, that helps to know they will not be there on a daily basis. If they are eating and bedding there one day, how far could they go the next?

I've been wondering about hunting a bedding area myself. In preseason scouting I found bedded and feeding deer several times in a thick thicket. I ended up hunting the ridge above the bedding area and ended up catching one walking down the trail I was sitting over on opening day. Only problem is he ducked my arrow...

After sitting a couple of more days and not seeing anything, I decided to check out the bedding area more closely. After climbing out of my stand and packing everything up, I walked down the trail to the bedding area and ended up kicking up what I thought was a doe until I was able to put my binos on it and saw antlers, of course once it was out of range. There were beds and droppings all in there. From the number of times I've seen deer in there while scouting, I think it is used pretty heavily.

Needless to say, I think I'm going to be sitting above the bedding area this weekend. I've seen deer in there more often than not, and they seem to put up with a lot of activity from past experiences in there. Hopefully one of the bigger guys will show up. I just hope they aren't too buggered and are still using the area.

I should have clarified a little. Each 'hole' I am talking about is only a foot or so across. There were some fresh tracks around. Nothing major. But since we kicked up a couple groups, there are at least some hanging around there. I just dont know how often they are in the area and how likely I am to find them even near there again. Amanda, that helps to know they will not be there on a daily basis. If they are eating and bedding there one day, how far could they go the next?

It really depends on what they are feeding on at the time, where the water is in relation to the food and other factors. The home range of a coues deer is 1-2 miles, but that doesn't mean they will move that far from day to day. Just that in a given year they might frequent several areas within that home range. I have watched deer over the course of several days and seen them only move a few hundred yards, or they could move a 1/2 mile. The more food and water available, the less they will move. So this time of year, with all the good rains we have had, I suspect those deer you are watching would not travel very far. But try glassing and see if you can get a pattern on them. Or hike the area and keep note of where you see the most sign and where you jump deer.

here is the link to the coues habitat page in the Coues biology section on this website. Maybe something in there will help you out.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biolog...eer_habitat.htm

Amanda