Red Rabbit

Four Leaf Clover?

Clover must be of the lucky four leaf variety as she drew two consecutive elk tags and filled each 😉

We started this October rifle cow elk hunt Friday by still hunting through a wide draw with scattered pinyons, but the elk did not want to be there that morning.  That evening we sat a long opening above a similar draw thinking the elk would move across to feed that evening/night.  Four cows did cross about 600 yards out, but held off considering the 20 mph wind. The next day had no activity in the opening or draw.  The slow walk for a mile through the P-J to the long opening was good for the mind though.  After the third fruitless morning, Clover and I went west and sat another opening for the evening.  About 15 minutes after sunset, a lone cow followed by a raghorn bull came out.  She lingered long enough to catch a 124 gr Hammer Hunter from the 6.5 WSM behind the  shoulders and made a 30 yard dash before collapsing in the trees.  The bullet exited leaving about a 1" exit hole.  I did the gutless dressing so did not inspect for internal bullet damage.  The 124 Hammer hunter is the one I used last year in the 6.5 WSM with similar results.  I am sure Clover picked out a tasty elk for this hunt's freezer filler as she was very excited seeing her cow elk down on the ground.  (Sorry, no pics were taken and only one elk was harmed.)

Let quail season begin 😉

• Like 11