Sign in to follow this  
loco4coues

Antler Growth

How much overall antler growth does a coues buck acheive in the last 6 weeks of velvet? Does it depend on the age of the buck? any other factors or thoughts?

It depends primarily on the quality of the diet during that time period. The higher the content of digestible protein in the diet (assuming that calcium and phosphorous also comprise about 3% of the dry weight of the diet at a ratio of approximately 2:1), the more the antlers will grow. The rate of metabolism in growing antlers is pretty incredible--it's the fastest growing true bone known. Although genetics will influence the overall shape and mass, it is the availability of protein and minerals that pretty much determines the rate of growth for any given period of time.

Actually, my brain was a little foggy the other night after two-days of air travel coming back from Kodiak, AK. Calcium and phosphorous do need to be in the diet at a ratio of 2:1, but they only need to total 1.5% of the dry weight. Don't know how I came up with 3%--must have been, as my daughters say, a brain fart!