Sign in to follow this  
Coues27

Old Buck ?????

This is a picture of a buck in late August of 07. I would like to get some feedback on what you all think he might have done this year. We didnt have a camera up all year in this area so we dont know for sure what he did. Do you think he is and old buck or do you think he has some growing to do.

post-2616-1223150268.jpg

The near buck appears to still have a bit of growing to do (the picture was taken early in the antler growth process). He obviously has good spread. It's very hard to age him from that angle. I want to say the nearer buck is younger then the the buck behind. I know as bucks age they get that roman nose look to them. I'm sure people on this site can give you a much better guess. I'm guessing, if he is still alive and kicking, he is a really nice deer.

I would say probably Older than the smaller buck. Maybe not by much, but man i would love to see that thing this year. What a Rack he will have.

I think that nearer buck is an old one. Notice how much whiter his muzzle is compared to the one in the background. The way his jaws close make me think that his cheek teeth are pretty well worn. Also note that the shoulder shows a good bit more bone than that of the younger one and his coat is rough. Both suggest that the energy and minerals he is putting into antler growth are taking somewhat of a toll on the rest of his body, possibly the result of very worn molars and premolars. Just my two cents worth...