Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Trail Cam Technique

Maybe you guys have hashed this out earlier before my time and I don't have a trail cam but I am interested in it....kind of a facinating hobby type thing. Fun for kids to get involved with, placing cams and checking them, kind of like trapping, but catch and release.

What are maybe 5 most important things to consider when placing a cam....

Is it water?

Maybe you have located a "general" bedding area, what do you guys look for when you set a cam up?

Duh....maybe a well used trail?????

What is most important???

I read an article written by Randy Ulmer, top ten most important things for hunting deer....."glass where the game are" was like number 3.....my boys and I got the best laugh out of that pointer......so don't give me the, "put the cam where the game are"....answer :lol:

Wat i have learned:

Is it water?

Can be, i dont like to unless it is a seep or sping far, far from the road. North facing is very important on larger water sources. the reflection of the sun triggers alot more than the sun alone i've notived

Maybe you have located a "general" bedding area, what do you guys look for when you set a cam up?

I look for an area that is "open" enough to get their pictures, but enough cover enough they will mill around or walk through slowly, giving enough time to take the pic.

What is most important???

Most important i think are: using good betteries, northern aiming, camera height (whitetails and elk are very different size. You get alot more lil critter pics the closer the cam is to the ground, they are fun to look at and see how many types of critters you geton your cam), I try and keep the honest guys honest by using a light cable and padlock, Cold weather is hard on batteries, Always have a few spare cards, they are cheap, it helps having a computer,digi camera, and trail cam using the same cards. You get alot more bang for your buck with cheap cams starting out, more cams to play with. I limit my cameras somewhat close to the road to non hunting times. Most important thing though is to SAVE FOR GAS MONEY. you are gonna want to check the cams as much as possible