Sign in to follow this  
shaun.phipps

New to New Mexico - Unit 16 Deer

I am new to the area and was drawn for a Unit 16 Deer hunt in November. I have never hunted in New Mexico and was just wondering what are the better areas for deer in unit 16 as it is a rather large area. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

My brother and sister in law drew elk tags for unit 16d last year, is your tag a wt or muley tag? There definitely wouldn't be any whitetail in 16D, which is the far north of the 16's. If anything, I would try the very very south end. We saw some muleys while hunting, but the biggest was probably only a 20" 3 pointer, and we hunted for a whole week. Lotta elk in there, bugled up a 390 bull the night before the season, i know how big he was because a fella killed him the next day within 100 yards of where we saw him :(

I also have a 16 tag in NM. I am coming from Az and haven't had anytime to scout. I hear there are some monsters in the wilderness areas if you are a hiker. I will be hunting near Reserve as my folks have a cabin there. Unfortunatly I'm not taking it to seriously as gas is so pricey.