Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

Carbon Fiber tripods

I have used a lot of them. I have used the Outdoorsmans as well but too heavy for what I want. I have never seen this vibration problem that Floyd is talking about. CF actually resists vibration better that AL, so it surprises me that he would draw this conclusion. I don't care for the Jim White head and most of the people that I know who have one don't use it anymore either. I am completely converted to ball heads. I will never go back to a pan head for glassing. Now for videoing- the pan head is much better. The pistol grip heads are terrible too (but I guess, they are technically a ball head!)

I ordered a Velbon this morning and we will see if it is what I want. I am going to Hong Kong in may and if the Velbon isn't what I want, I will find something in Hong Kong- I here there are bargains to be had!

I copied this from the CWT store. Great tripod, light and megaadjustable. Save the money off carbon.

Would recommend the Jim White panhead. Makes for a nice unit.

"SLIK Sprint PRO Tripod

The SLIK Sprint PRO is a good choice for a lightweight tripod. It has a maximum height of 64.3 inches and a folding height of 18 3/4 inches. The middle column is a two-piece setup so you can remove part of it to make the tripod get low on the ground (as in the second photo shown above). This tripod has 3 position multi-angle leg locks so that it can be spread out. It comes with the ball head shown in the photo, but that is not a very good head for glassing. You will most likely want to replace that with another tripod head. The Jim White Tripod head is a great choice for that or you can use one you already have.

The weight on this tripod is 1 pound and 15.5 ounces. It comes in gun metal grey and with a nylon carrying case.

The SLIK Sprint PRO is $95.00 plus tax and $14 shipping/handling. "

I have used a lot of them. I have used the Outdoorsmans as well but too heavy for what I want. I have never seen this vibration problem that Floyd is talking about. CF actually resists vibration better that AL, so it surprises me that he would draw this conclusion. I don't care for the Jim White head and most of the people that I know who have one don't use it anymore either. I am completely converted to ball heads. I will never go back to a pan head for glassing. Now for videoing- the pan head is much better. The pistol grip heads are terrible too (but I guess, they are technically a ball head!)

I ordered a Velbon this morning and we will see if it is what I want. I am going to Hong Kong in may and if the Velbon isn't what I want, I will find something in Hong Kong- I here there are bargains to be had!

Catclaw, what is it about the Jim White tripod head that you don't like?

Catclaw, what is it about the Jim White tripod head that you don't like?

It has been a while since I used it but it was too heavy, didn't pan the way I like and the angle of the handle sticking down was awkward for me. Then there is the price tag. I have completely switched to ball heads for glassing- I can move more freely and don't seemed to get fatigued as easily as with the pan/tilt.

OK, I got to use my new tripod on two different week-long hunts; one in Nevada and one in NM. I got to use a Jim White head again on this trip as well. I think the JW head is very well made- I don't like how the adjusting arm sticks down so far- it's just not my style. The guy who had it said he bought it because Jim helped him a lot with his unit 8 elk tag a while back and wanted to patronize him. He is ambivelant about it and doesn't prefer it to his other heads.

I bought a Velbon El Carmagne 640. It is a 4-section leg design so it is real short for putting in my pack. It is quite light and very sturdy. It came with a pan/fluid head that is too bulky for my uses and I switched out for a Bogen ball head and will use the Velbon head for videoing only- or possibly photography when I don't have to pack it in.

The Velbon is easy to set up and didn't "vibrate" in the wind. It was a pleasure to use compared to my 15-year-old Manfrotto. I got it for just a shade under $300 from a distributor in Scottsdale. Considering it came with a head, this is a real bargain. As I looked in some camera mags I see there are a few "house brands" that look pretty good as well. Gitzo has some company now!

To those of you who have the lighter ones- I wish you well. I like the sturdiness of this one when I am standing. Most are decent while sitting. I like to glass both ways-especially in the tall grass. There are very fet trripods out there that will let one stand and glass without stooping over.

Hope this helps someone out.

I've been using the Slik Carbon Fiber 713 for more than 7 or 8 years and can't say enought good about this tripod. Everyone that has seen this tripod in action out in the field has been sold on it and has purchased one. I also heard about the possible harmonic problem in the wind and can tell you first hand that it DOES NOT EXIST with this tripod. This tripod is $ 239.00 at B and H photo online, which by the way, is rated the number one online electronics store by Consumer reports.

I also have the Slik Sprint Pro. Nice tripod for the money and I use it on longer backpack trips but it is no where near as sturdy as the carbon fiber 713. If all your putting on it is 8x or 10x you'll be ok. If you are trying to support 15X's go with the carbon fiber.

Here's what I like about the Carbon Fiber:

• Very Light @ 2.75# vs 3.00# for the Outdoorsman
  • Concentric twist lock wheels for releasing and tightening the legs vs. Levers on Outdoorsman
  • Can use it in the standing up position 60.2" vs 62.5" Outdoorsman
  • It's only $239 compared to $559.00 for Outdoorsman Lightweight aluminum
  • Just as sturdy as the Outdoorman (IMHO) I've had them side by side

I personally do not like the ball type pistol grip heads made by anyone. The Bogen is way too heavy and tight and the Outdoorsman is too pricey and still fatigues your hand after hours of use. I sold my Outdoorsman after one hunt. The only good thing about the outdoorsmand is that it is light.

The Jim White head is actually one of the better pan heads available. I do not have one yet but will when I can afford one. The best value, IMHO is the Bogen 3160 pan head. It is no longer in production but you can find them on ebay for about 35 to 45 bucks. This is what I'm currently using.

Hope this helps!

Slik Tripod at B and H Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2784...rbon_Fiber.html

Recently sold Bogen

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bogen-Manfrotto-3160-V...A1%7C240%3A1318