Sign in to follow this  
WinMag

What makes a successful hunt for ..... YOU?

Along with what others have said, the older I get the more it changes for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dropping the hammer on Coues bucks but it's more about a well rounded experience now. The camp and fellowship are things that matter more now. I also find myself enjoying myself helping others on thier hunts just as much as hunting myself.

I still have very vivid memories of camping and hunting when I was a kid, I did a lot of it on my own but I think back to what I enjoyed the most and try to make good memories for youngsters that hopefully will last them a lifetime. The one thing that stands out for me being a youth and hunting with my bro-in-laws is when an adult would talk to me and listen to me like it mattered to them, I try to do the same for kids.

I think a succesfull hunt are day's spent in the woods where if you had to kill something to survive you could have. I.E. = getting on game. bottom line. To kill what you're lookin for, now that's the trophy, no matter the size. And who said you can have a bad time hunting. even in bad weather with a sprained ankle, beats work :lol: :lol: and I personaly like big antlers, Who doesn't?

Don't get me wrong I love to be out with family and friends BUT, when I leave a hunt empty handed I feel like there is something I did wrong and am always second guessing my decisions. I absolutely love to hunt but I like to kill even more! I know I will probably catch some crap for this but hey thats me! I have been hunting for twenty years and I think there will be a day when the kill won't be as important as the time spent, but until then i'm pretty hardcore about shoppin for backstraps and puttin em on the ground! LOL!

I'm with you Matt!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truely.... I love every aspect of the hunt right down to good meat and trophy care.... quartering, hanging, boning out, caping the head, capping the skull, and even the pack out! The memories are what it is all about!! Knowing that all your hard work, time, effort,skill, and equipment worked! To me, a perfect hunt is: days and days of scouting (pre-hunt), planning how to out-smart the Monster (you hopefully found in your scouting), and Ground Checking him!!! Then the pictures and getting him out!!! What a day... what a hunt!!!! Oh yeah.... and size does matter!!! ;) :P :lol: