Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Desert Mulies Disappeared???

I checked my cams in the flats (on/off a tank) and as its rained since november the deer activity went from consistent to non-existent as of this week. Only cut 3 fresh tracks but a mile away from the tank. Walked another mile past the tank to the nearest rise and glassed for a couple hours - nothing. The whole desert is greening up and obviously with all the rain the tanks become less critical to the deer. My plan was to sit on what was the main deer trail into the tank with a decoy and catch them coming/going from the tank - now it seems less likely that that will happen. There have been a few quail hunters, scouters and quads in the area over the last 4 weeks. Any tips for the upcoming Jan bowhunt or where these deer may have gone? The area went from good to apparently bad in the last 4 weeks.

That has happened to me more than once in the Dec. Jan. hunt. I have learned to keep moving until I find sign again and that could mean as much as 1 to 5 miles away. Another thing is in the desert the mulies can be in a small pocket and not be moving much at all especially in the rut and with water standing in the roads and what not. They will use these puddles over a water hole. You may have them near by and dont know it like over the next hill or ridge. They went somewhere but if you are like me , old habits die hard. Keep moving till you find sign again. Good luck!

Like "Swede" said just keep looking for them until you find sign of deer again. This problem happens alot in places with lots of water because the deer dont need to travel there old route to get water they can get it anywhere now. Best bet is to find a waterhole and scout around the hills and canyons by the water hole they will be there somewhere.