Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Big Bug 😳

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0xsHWGHRHSHeP6hshCS19FHHvEiTswt1wBt26rWM3xkTkJsjckq4Y7ySHD7km53Xfl&id=100064466781512&mibextid=K8Wfd2

Battle Of Big Bug:

It was in 1863 near the town of Big Bug, that Theodore Boggs and three other miners were working a very productive gold claim. They had built a Dugout cabin along a hill side near where they were working. 

One night after a long day of working on their claim, the men cleaned up, dinner then went to bed and never knowing that they were being watched. During the middle of the night one of the men woke up to the sound of their dog crying. As the miner peered out of the only window, he seen their dog had been shot with an arrow and was crying as he was limping toward the cabin. At this exact moment, the Apache warriors then began to roll two very large boulders down the hill to crush or burry the miners alive inside their cabin. Two of the miners actually help a bed frame over their heads to keep the roof from caving in on them.

With the cabin damaged from the boulders, but still standing. The Apache began to move in to finish off the miners inside the cabin. With two of the miners occupied with holding the ceiling up and trying to repair their now crumbling cabin, Boggs and one other miner loaded their muskets as well as those of the other two miners and waited for the Apache to come. 

The men had to dig hasty gun port holes into the walls of the cabin to defend themselves properly, as there was only one small singe window. When the Apache first charged, two of them were killed instantly and the rest fell back and began taking  shots at the cabin. Two Apache's tried to set the front of the cabin on fire, but both were badly wounded and carried off by their fellow warriors up the hill side then for an hour after there was noting but silence.

All of a sudden the hills lit up with a bright burning flicker and to the miners amazement, the Apache had carried off their dead warriors and now were cremating them in full view of the miners trapped inside the cabin. By morning the fires had burnt out and the Apache had fled. After this the four men raced to the town of Big Bug (Population of just 100) and told the residence and other miners of their story and to raise the alarm.

This was just one of many skirmishes/battles that took place within the Bradshaw Mountains during the Apache Wars. In numerous books, articles & material I often come across that the period of 1853-1873 was the most deadly period for American miners, settlers in the Arizona Territory. 

Big Bug has always been a great location that yields amazing gold. During the 1860's-1880's an estimated 15,000-18,000 ounces of gold was yielded from the placer claims. During the 1930's-1940's a recorded 50,000 ounces of gold was yielded from dredging. The lone miners during this time were making an easy $300 a week from the gold they were recovering form the creek & hillsides. 

Very little exists today of the old mining down of Big Bug

Today Roadrunner's Prospecting Club & the GPAA have good mining claims along Big Bug Creek.

To this day, active mining claims along Big Bug Creek still produce impressive amounts of gold. I have worked some of these placer claims on and off since the mid 1990's and I still find nice size pickers in my pan. 

Theirs Still Gold In Them There Hills!

(Please follow & respect State, Federal laws and land as well as private property, if in doubt just ask permission).

If you happen to be traveling along the I-17 this week on your way to Prescott, Flagstaff or Phoenix, maybe stop by and check out this priceless piece of the Wild West & Arizona's past.  

I hope everyone has a fun & adventurous week!

Stay Safe, Stay Alive, Keep Treasure Hunting!!

• Like 4