Sign in to follow this  
Guest giladad

Unit 36B

Guest giladad

Anybody have any tips on where to hunt in 36B?? It's a pretty big area and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this unit. Mark

Mark,

Here's some info on 36B from HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER. -TONY

Unit 36B, located west of Nogales, shares its southern border with Mexico. Although a small portion of the western half of the unit is on the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge, most of the unit is within the borders of the Coronado National Forest.

The Pajarito, Atascosa, and Tumacacori mountains all harbor good populations of Coues deer. Despite the drought, the deer numbers have remained fairly constant. There?s also a better than average buck-to-doe ratio

Main access into the unit is on the Arivaca Road (Amado exit on I-19) and the Ruby Road (Pena Blanca Lake exit on I-19). To get to the Tres Bellotas Ranch, travel south from Arivaca about 3/4 of a mile and then bear right at the fork. Access into Sierra Canyon at the Tres Bellotas is through Mojonera Canyon.

The Ruby Road starts out as paved Highway 289 and runs west from Interstate 19, then becomes a winding, narrow dirt road after it passes Pena Blanca Lake. It provides access to many of the oak-studded canyons between the road and the Mexican border. Two of the more popular areas are the hills near Warsaw and Sycamore Canyons.

The well-signed road into Warsaw leaves the main road just east of Ruby, a tiny mining settlement. Hunting is good almost anywhere along the road. There are also many little two-track 4x4 roads that branch off the main dirt road. The Sycamore Canyon area is more rugged and there are few roads into it, making it more difficult to hunt. This translates into lots of walking, but the reward can be outstanding.

Farther east, about halfway between Sycamore and Pena Blanca Lake, the Summit Motorway road climbs a ridge top for miles and leads to plenty of places for effective glassing.

A particularly good area is in the San Luis Mountains just south of the Arivaca-Sasabe Road. There?s a hunter access point in the Buenos Aires Refuge at mile post 7.

Duwane?s Advice: This is probably the best unit for big bucks on public land in the state. The late hunt is an excellent one for a trophy.

I am also hunting that area in Oct.. Thanks for the info outdoor writer! I have also heard about a place called Cobre Ridge and a place north of Ardilla ranch between the San Luis mts.and Wilber canyon. Any furter info would be great. Please email me at jselting@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Edited by salty