AZKendog

AZ Resident Hunting in NM?

Any of you Arizona boys have any information on New Mexico? Figured I would try the Arizona forum first; not sure NM residents would want to give out any info to a nonres. Anyway, I'm done in AZ for 05, as I took a small forky with my bow in January, but am looking for a place to go in NM in the fall. Haven't hunted there before so I'm just trying to find out which units have the most public land, and if anyone has any recommendations on which units (or which ones to avoid). I plan on calling the NM game and fish to get some information, but it would be nice to have a starting point before talking to them. Thanks!!

There are no deer in NM, so hunt somewhere else <_<

There are alot of good units in the southern and western part of the state for WT and carp. However they are all draw this year (even bow) so you need to have your stuff in by april. You can apply online. Lots of public land and if you want to see the fewest people and the biggest deer hunt the Gila wilderness(the 16's). If you are going for Coues, I would contact crazyaboutcoues, he is a sponsor on the website, Gila wilderness hunting. He will take care of you. Remember there are absolutely no whitetail in 23, 24, 26 or 27. It might be better just to save your money. :lol:

AG

Most of us NM residents are friendly. Are you aware that we have gone to a draw system for deer this year? The deadline to apply is April 9th. Units 16, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27 all have huntable coues numbers but most are in small pockets. You should plan on scouting alot to find them.

Good luck in the drawing.

Kevin

Thanks for the information everyone. In looking at the regs, it appears that of the units mentioned, only units 23 and 24 have separate mule deer and whitetail hunts - meaning the hunts in units 16, 21, 22, 26, and 27, a hunter could harvest either one (as long as it met the antler restriction). That might be the way to go on my first NM hunt.

Thanks for the information everyone.  In looking at the regs, it appears that of the units mentioned, only units 23 and 24 have separate mule deer and whitetail hunts - meaning the hunts in units 16, 21, 22, 26, and 27, a hunter could harvest either one (as long as it met the antler restriction).  That might be the way to go on my first NM hunt.

You may want to double check that, I don't think that is right , I know that 27 is a unit that you have to pick your poison in(ie muley or WT). 25 and 26 are the only ones that are just APRD(antler point restricted) . The youth only hunts are any buck 3 point on one side or better and those are the first hunts listed in each unit (if applicable).

Not trying to be a know it all, but it would be real hard to explain to the warden why you had a youth only tag. <_<

AG

Fatfootdoc - Yeah, you're probably right about the hunts, but I'm just not seeing it in the regs. Once you get me away from the AZ regs and into any other states, it seems like they are written in Chinese or something. I will ask the NM G&F guy about it when I talk to him. Thanks again for all the responses. Ken