Mr. Jonathan

Antler Development

I've noticed on several heads of several antlered species, that when one pedicle becomes injured and hinders the antler growth on that side, the other side seems to grow quite large and produce more unusual characteristics, like excessive mass, extra tines, etc. I was wondering if perhaps this occurs because the nutrients from the injured side are deferred to the healthy side? I don't know if that's even biologically feasible?

Antler development is a very complicated process and full of strange things. I have noticed this phenomena as you described and I have assumed the same thing. It really seems as though the nutrients get shunted over to the other side. Also if a mainbeam is or single tine is damaged early in velvet, it seems like the rest of the antler on that side grows bigger. I am not aware of anyone really having any real scientific data or explanation for this. I do talk about the contralateral effect in antler growth (injuries affecting antlers) in my Chapter 4 (Antlers) of Deer of the SW.

JIM

Jim Heffelfinger

Author, Deer of the Southwest

deernut.com

Thanks Jim! For those that don't know Jim, he is a biologist with AGFD out of the Tucson office and he wrote the book "Deer of the Southwest". His book contains loads of information and is well worth the money. Please consider buying one. Jim has been sharing some of his knowledge with us on this forum for years.

Amanda

Interesting Jim and thanks for your input.

I did not go and look but you have the book

in your store don't you Amanda?

No, actually I don't carry it since Jim decided to just sell them himself on his website. I wish I carried them.

Amanda