Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

Lenses and videocameras

i already posted this in the wrong section so i am moving it to here, but i want to get either a zoom lense or a videocamera. i want to photograph animals when i cant hunt them, but i dont have a powerful enough zoom to get anything past 60 or 70 yards. i have a sony cybershot with zeiss lense, its the model that came out in '08. or i want to get a video camera to start taping mine and my dads hunts, something with good clarity and zoom, for long range shots, any suggestions would be great

I'm using a Sony DCR-SR45 I bought for family use. It has a 40x optical I think and I have used it on videoing a friends hunt. I bought a 3.5x telephoto lens for it, but haven't taken it outside yet. I'm still looking into the video part so anything you find out and would like to share, please do.

At 800-900 yards the video was fuzzy but you could still see the deer even behind paloverde trees. At about 400 yards things got much better, but the mid day heat waves played a role. Over all I'm prettty happy with the Sony and hope the telephoto lens is an improvement.

The DVD I made of the hunt was cool and I mixed in photos and music to add to the flavor.

A short intro and credits helped too with fade ins and outs.

I passed the DVD around to a few friends and will make adjustments based on feedback and field checks with the new lens.

Good luck!

I have an older panasonic HDD w/ a 32x zoom. It works pretty well. I have a few videos on you tube. search for Rdeadmo. The bear was a little over 300 yards, the WT was around 850, and I didnt have the max clarity setting selected. The carp was around 150-200 yards. A tripod is a must for anything over 50 yards if you want good video. I have a ton of killer video from this years elk hunts but wont get em up for a while. looks like the new ones are 60g w/ a 70x zoom.