Sign in to follow this  
GodIsGood

FIRST TIME APPLICANT SUCCESS SYNDROME???

Here's a theory to ponder -

My first archery bull tag was 6a-w rut hunt. I had no bonus points but was a FIRST TIME hunter going with a guy who had a few - not a bunch of - points.

Last year I gave up 8 BPs to late hunt the buffer zone around camp navajo - it was a good adventure but I got skunked.

THIS YEAR, I got drawn AGAIN, this time for 5b Archery bull in the rut with NO BPs, but I invited a friend from church who as NEVER been hunting - just like me 9 years ago - and we got drawn?

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED - FIRST TIME APPLICANT SUCCESS SYNDROME???

We know that hunting is a declining sport, and what better way to get first time hunters addicted or into the fold by allowing them some early success at getting drawn for decent hunts? How many years would you put-in if you had never tasted the joy and excitement of hunting? We know AZG&F can afford to hire top-notch geeks who could program whatever special results they wanted - to ensure future revenue streams.

Crazy?

My buddy is new to the state...put in first time for a muzzleloader hunt....no dice.

I was drawn on my first try for cow elk and the next year for bull elk in 6A.Was also drawn for December whitetail in unit 32 on first and second trys.This year I put in with a first time applicant for September archery elk and drew the tags splitting my loyalty and hunter points as he had 0 points.Still waiting for antelope with 17 points.

THIS YEAR, I got drawn AGAIN, this time for 5b Archery bull in the rut with NO BPs, but I invited a friend from church who as NEVER been hunting - just like me 9 years ago - and we got drawn?

Congrats on getting a tag!!!

A friend of mine got drawn for Desert Bighorn a few years back and it was his first time ever putting in. That kind of luck is crazy and never happens to me.

I've stated before that I thought there was a conspiracy theory by letting first timers draw. I've experienced that myself with an antelope tag and every friend and family member that I've helped put in for their first hunt have drawn a tag.

Makes sense though, get the first timers hooked with a tag that way they don't give up after not getting drawn for the first couple of years.