Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Dust

Couse, unit 34A Hunt 1092

Guest David Dust

I have made two scouting trips to the area just nort of Patigonia forest service road 72 and 72A. I like what I see for terrain and have found some sign of deer.

Is this a good area for couse deer? This is my first couse hunt. I am from Montana and normaly hunt large mule deer on the on the plains, so can take shots out to 300 yards. I am using a winchester model 70 varmiter, with a winchester 95 grain ballistic tip partition nozzler. Is this a good combo or should I use a softer bullet?

David: I used a ballistic tip last year and would recommend them. As for where you have scouted, I would buy the book "how to hunt Coues Deer" that is on this site. It talks about FS roads 92, 795 and 4111. The most important thing I could recommend would be a good set of bino's and a tripod so you get up high and glass the S.E. facing slopes in the mornings/evenings and N.W. slopes during the daytime. You should start glassing out far first thing in the morning before the heat waves and work on in closer. Glassing for coues is alot tougher than muleys do to the size and how gray they are. I use 15x swarovski's for most of the glassing and 10x's I carry on bino buddies.........hope this helps.........ask more questions and tell us what hunt you have.........Allen Taylor.................

Guest Guest_BigBear

What's it like out there with 950 hunters ? Do most wear hunter orange ? I'll be hunting the Oct WT hunt. My son lives in Tucson and he says he's been scouting.

BigBear

Guest Guest_vml

Go back ninety days and you can read some interesting info on 34A...yes wear orange..

good luck