Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

HOW TO PRESERVE VELVET?

I am trying to help a friend with his archery buck. He wants to boil out the skull for a euro mount. I have seen something on a tv show where they inject the velvet antlers with some sort of preservative but have never came across this stuff so figured someone here would have some advice???? If you dont do anything at all will it smell bad or more importantly will it last or peel off when it dries?

There was some talk recently about it. You can inject formaldahyde (sp) I believe. You can also freeze dry it, not sure how long that takes. You can also strip it and have artificial velvet applied. I wanted a velvet Euro. I decided to try and freeze dry it, then do the euro job my self and see if it held up. If it didnt, I would do the artificial stuff. Unfortunately none of my shooters have shown up so I dont have the mounting problem yo deal with yet :P

There was some talk recently about it. You can inject formaldahyde (sp) I believe. You can also freeze dry it, not sure how long that takes. You can also strip it and have artificial velvet applied. I wanted a velvet Euro. I decided to try and freeze dry it, then do the euro job my self and see if it held up. If it didnt, I would do the artificial stuff. Unfortunately none of my shooters have shown up so I dont have the mounting problem yo deal with yet :P

Freeze dry huh? Its in the freezer right now but i wonder if i boil it then throw it in the freezer to dry the velvet if that would work? I have a small mulie that i shot with my bow that I had the taxidermist do the artificial velvet on and IMO it looks like astro turf! LOL! So I wanted to stay away from that route! Not to mention it is exspensive for the fake stuff his deer is just a small 3x3 mulie. Thanks for ur input.