Sign in to follow this  
willyjig

carbon shafts accuracy

thanks to all ho answered my waterhole post- i thnk i may enjoy this site this time i am considering carbon - question: is a .001 noticably more accurate than a.003 or a .005 straightness. or is human error more of a problem than a couple of thousandths of an inch. has anyone experimented with differing qualities? question#2: do normal inserts designed for carbon shafts seat straight enough or should i consider the new "HIT" style of shafts. the HIT styles that i see are not available in the premium .001 version-- but if the insert is straighter because of HIT, then i may have an overall better broadhead flight than i would with the premium shaft with the normal standard inserts (assuming that they dont seat as straight). am i offbase or splitting hairs -- can i expect six inch groups at 60 yds with broadhead marked yardage? sorry so long. thanks again

If youre shooting in competitions splitting hairs yes, for hunting you have a better sized area of forgiveness or larger bulls eye if you will. however accuracy goes with consistency,and if you can afford them buy them. but more over practice practice practice, consistent form will go further than high priced gear.

thats my .02 any way

Unless you shoot daily with pinpoint acuracy, you wont even notice a difference. Most people (even me, though I dont like to admit it) dont shoot near good enough to notice the slight difference in straightness. I can group 6 arrows into a 3" circle at 40 to 50 yards with .003" arrows, and cant tell a difference with the .001" arrows. I have shot long distances with my hooter shooter for arrow comparisons (40 to 50 yards) and can barely tell a difference. It only averages around 1/4" smaller groups with the .001" compaired to the .003". The only real thing I noticed is that there seem to be less "flyers" with the .001", but that is because of a stricter quality control on them, which is why they cost more. I feel you would be happy with either arrow, but for me, I will take .003" gold tip xt's.

GMM

Heres my 2 cents for what its worth. I agree with newbee, you cant beat practice. Cheap gear will outshoot expensive gear if you practice more with it.

The only reason I started shooting carbons. Even shooting at a straw or bag target, eventually you end up with slight bends and tweeks with aluminum arrows. Not a problem with carbons, you have to lose them or blow them up. They cost more by the dozen, but for me, in the long run I spend less money. I get better mileage out of the carbons.

I only shoot broadheads, all I do is hunt with my bow. The broadhead I shoot is the Zwicky 2 blades. These are normally the hardes broadheads on the market to get to shoot good. Just for fun I have an 80 yard pin. I am a seasonal shooter, but I can put those Zwicky's in a Copenhagen lid just about every time at 70 and 80 yards.

I also think the .003 are plenty for what anyone wants. Why pay more if you dont notice any difference. use the extra money for something else.

Either you buy your Copenhagen in a 5 gallon bucket or you are an extremely good shot, don't know anyone personally that could hold a 2 1/2" group at 80yds. Not saying it can't be done, just that if it is than it is extremely exceptional. I personally struggle with a 2 1/2" group at 40 or 50 yards and I shoot a fair amount......by far not professional.

As for arrows I used to buy the expensive $75-$80/dz and last year I decided to try the Bass Pro shops Carbon Supremes for $39/dz and am very pleased with them. I cannot tell any difference in accuracy and they poke really cool holes in critters just like the expensive ones, the only thing I have noticed is that the arrow that I stuck my Javelina with last year WILL NOT lose that stink........I put a blunt on it and it is used for whack'n pesky critters around the house now, just couldn't stand the odor in my bow case any longer.