Sign in to follow this  
BigBfever

what goes in front of the camera?

Water is always key? but with our recent rain there is a lot of water sitting in the desert. I'm new to the camera, and am not to sure what to set out to get som pics. I just recently try some dehydrated apple pellets with out any luck, I was thinking about salt next time. I'd did get 326 pics of a tree branch ;). Just wondering if there is a known product or a good home brew?

I look for places with alot of sign. I've got some of my best pictures of deer in washes that hold water for a few days after a rain. My best advice though would be to lock your camera up and hide it the best you can. Even if you think no one will find it, someone will.

Ive rarely used water right in front of the camera. like others have said its alot easier to put your camera where the deer are than convincing the deer to come to your camera. Even with all the salts, flavors, tricks, and treats; its best to start where deer already are. Good spots to start is less than a half mile from water. Theres normaly plenty of critters close by. I know it may sound pretty basic but it works. Ive never been skunked on pics w/ sign in the area and pretty close to water. You can try salt, sometimes it takes time, sometimes alot of time. The only thing i know that will turn a no critter spot into a bunch of nice trail cam pics is alot of work, time, and patience. I have a few spots like that. Now I look for more sign over what I think is good lookin country.