Sign in to follow this  
NMBOWHUNTR15

unit 21 coues

New member to coueswhitetail and first off would like to say hello to all the members. Second, never hunted coues before and have come down with coues fever over the last two months and with the draw comin up im trying to figure out what to do and where to go. I really dont want to designate a species because I am also a muley fanatic and I will take what I can get. Im looking at putting in for 21 cuz I here it has both deer species down there and was hoping someone could clarify and maybe point me in the right direction. Was thinking of focusing on the aldo leopold wilderness... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I have hunted unit 16 and that is a great unit to find both species. PM me if you want and i'll point you in the right direction.

Derek

There are Coues whitetails in Unit 21, but they are few and far between. I have several friends that hunt that unit pretty hard in ML and rifle seasons and they have never encountered a Coues deer during an open season. If you can draw 16, you would have a better chance. If you're willing to concentrate on Coues only, 27 (if you can draw it) would be the best. Unit 26 also has good populations of both whitetails and mule deer and the bag is one FAD. Access in 26 can be tricky, but if you can use a map and/or GPS and don't mind hiking, you can get into areas that have both species and you won't have much company. The downside is all of the illegal traffic in both 26 and 27. I would be reluctant to leave a camp unattended.