Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

watch 'Gasland' on HBO or DVD!

Probably the most shocking documentary I've seen in years.

For anyone who thinks documentaries are made by liberal fools, watch it, and see conservative families across the US sickened and dying without representation.

I'll wager that the negative effects on mule deer and antelope will be widespread and directly correlated to gas fracturing 'fracking' in future student thesis and dissertations, peer-revied journals, and even hunting mags.

Educate yourselves and your families, hopefully before you sign that fat mineral rights release.

ok, i watched it. there have been problems with natural gas in well water for as long as there have been wells. the new gas wells in this area could be the reason. i guarantee you a lot of the water wells had problems before the drilling started. guarantee it. but, as soon as the guy said his folks were hippies and when he talked about pete seeger, a real famous commie, and then started to blame everything on cheney and haliburton, it was pretty east to see which way it was going to go. keep several things in mind, every "documentary" has a conclusion they want before they even start. real easy to see that this is this guys goal. haliburton does not own even one well, of any kind, they are a well service company. they supply equipment and technology to the guys with the leases. the guys that are really pushing natural gas are guys like t. boone pickens and warren buffet, both big time libs. for some reason folks hear the words "natural gas" and they think it is some safe, nice, environmentally friendly thing that won't hurt anything. it's still a hydrocarbon. it still burns. it's dangerous as heck. folks, just like this hippy descendent that made this film, have demonized coal and oil to the point that everyone is scared as heck of it and thinks it's gonna kill us all and don't want anyone to use it and they have forced energy companies to try to develop natural gas supplies because it is supposed to be warm and friendly. the only real alternative to hydrocarbons for energy production is nuclear. period. if you want electricity in your house or a car to drive, then it is going to burn hydrocarbons. solar, wind, even hydro, don't and won't ever cut it. especially solar and wind. they're a joke. the wind isn't constant and it gets dark every night. the amount of polution that goes in the batteries for solar systems far outweighs the the polution of coal or oil. the truth is somewhere in between what this guy produced in his movie and what the gas companies say it is. it's too bad all around. but until folks get a grip on what is real and what ain't, this is gonna be the way it is. and don't expect obama or any other career politician to fix it. as long they get their's and the taxes get paid, everything is fine. where is all the outrage in this lib congress we have right now? you heard anything from anyone congressman or senator? nope. and most of the guys in this "documentary" are being paid real well by the gas companies for the right to drill on their property. and unless you own "patented" land, you don't own anything but the dirt on the surface, you don't own the water, minerals or timber. if that's the case with some of these folks, i don't know what to say other than maybe they shoulda thought about it when they either bought the land or sold the water, mineral and timber rights. look at both sides, the answer is somewhere in the middle. and when he said that mule deer, pronghorn and sage grouse were endangered it was an out and out lie and he lost what little credibility he started with. and never trust a hippie. Lark.

What about those people's rights when it comes to the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts (which the gas development companies are exempt from - thanks to the so called 2005 'Halliburton exemption')? The people may not own the mineral rights to their lands, but they can start fires with their faucet water now that there are gas wells on their property. Should these companies only have to pay people, or truck in their water after they've fought tooth and nail through corporate lawyers to avoid responsibility?

Lark, are you so callous as to say that our country's addiction to cheap, easy energy validates poisoning drinking water and sickening American children (even if its only the poor stupid ones who bought land without the mineral rights)?

Are we (as a country) so lazy that we refuse to change our lifestyles to really break the back what's fueling our involvement in the Middle East, the spill in the Gulf, or I'm afraid to even mention it - Global Warming? 'Change' is probably the scariest word out there for most conservatives. The idea of breaking this way of life (one that has only really been around for the last 60 years) that is dependent upon fossil fuels for everything from the food we eat to the gas in our ATVs is anathema to most conservatives who think only liberals want to live like granola crunching hippies who expect the government to give them everything. Last I checked, the government is the one who is subsidizing the farm industry and oil and gas, the very things lazy Americans refuse to give up.

Instead we'll just keep on with the status-quo: cheap food, cheap gas, and foreign wars fought by the same kids whose favorite pass-time back home was lighting the faucet water on fire, and making homemade plastic out in the horse trough with an acetylene torch. The only real question is which one of those things will kill them first - the war, the water, or the food?

A hippy filmmaker made the movie, but it was red blooded people who live on that land that are getting sick - I didn't see many dream catchers or tie-dyed shirts in those ranch houses - it was mostly cowboy hats and buffalo rug covered couches. I heard the same thing from that rancher saying he just wants to produce good quality beef for everyone that I heard from the farmer in 'Food Inc.' saying he just wants to grow good healthy produce (his problem are companies like Monsanto who own the seed and it's genes, and have corporate lawyers).

The wildlife are most certainly endangered by well development (this guy's CV has a list of his publications on the impacts of wells on wildlife main website). Any kind of human development is going to have negative impacts on wildlife, the bigger the animal the more likely an impact. Loss of habitat to development is the #1 risk to wildlife, period. The gas wells involve pouring poisonous chemicals into surface catchments, which according to the hippy (who backs it up with video), the companies spray into the air with golf course sprinklers to increase evaporation. If one thirsty goat drinks from those unfenced tanks its impacted negatively, maybe lethally.

Are we (as a country) so lazy that we refuse to change our lifestyles to really break the back what's fueling our involvement in the Middle East, the spill in the Gulf, or I'm afraid to even mention it - Global Warming?

Let's be realistic, we will never be off oil. Has nothing to do with being lazy.

h e l l no i don't like it, but show me an alternative energy source that works.

and again, haliburton doesn't own any wells. quit blaming them. if they would hire haliburton this leak in the gulf would be plugged by now. those guys know what they're doing. what they are doing is legal and they are doing it for some folks that don't want the exposure. they are profit oriented and don't care what folks say as long as they can make money. that's just the way it is.

as far as the clean water act, why isn't the gov't enforcing it? what these guys are doing is completely legal until someone stops them. if folks are living on land that doesn't have water or mineral rights, then they are S.O.L. that ain't a nice thing, but that's the way it is. and if they have leased their mineral or water rights out, same thing. if they own the water and mineral rights and their wells get polluted, by drilling, then they have a case. but i guarantee you a lot of these guys already had well problems. i know guys in colorado and texas who have wells that do the same thing and they have for decades. i know guys in quemado new mex that have crude oil in their well water. water tables and oil and gas strata can and are in the same place on a regular basis. and again, the reason there is so much empasis put on natural gas, which is mostly methane, same thing beans make, is because coal, oil and uranium are so demonized by the libs when there really isn't a realistic alternative. natural gas is supposed to be the neatest thing since sliced bread, it's still a hydrocarbon. it still blows up and it'll still kill ya if ya ain't careful.

this film never said anything about what the gas companies position is legally and what their rights are. and it never said anything about what the rights of the people with the bad wells are either. all it said was cheney bad, haliburton bad. never said a thing about pickens and buffet and the other billionaires that are really calling the shots. if they got an exemption on the clean water deal, then who voted for it? i'll bet ya a buncha libs did along with with those nasty dirty conservatives. cheney is one guy. he had one vote in the senate and only in case of a tie. all vp's have the same vote. without the votes of a clear majority in the senate and the house, this bill, whatever it is, doesn't exist. this guy never said anything about that. he was never objective, never even attempted to show both sides, never elaborated on the true spirit of the law, never elaborated on the true rights of the affected people. all he did was said cheney bad, haliburton bad. he said that mule deer, pronghorns and sage grouse were endangered. a pure out and out lie. like i said, any time someone makes a donumentary, they want it to come to a conclusion that supports their view and that is exactly what this guy did. i sorta liked the banjo pickin', but that's about it. there's a lotta stuff that is wrong with about everything. one kid with a camera ain't gonna cure em. unless you're a convicted felon and ain't an illegal, you have a vote. use it. cheney didn't do this. he mighta been part of it, but he needed a lotta help from a lotta folks. and all those folks saw how much money they were gonna get out of it. just like they always do.

this gas drilling explosion is going on because people have made a scapegoat out of oil and coal. same reason they have this stinkin' leak in the gulf. they won't let em drill in shallow water because the tree huggers can see the rigs from shore. so they make em drill in water a mile deep where they really don't have good technology for it yet. we've got a fairly good handle on containing oil and coal emissions in power plants and cars and stuff. but folks want to keep pounding on it so they try other things and the other things ain't working very well.

until we do what works and works well and quit listening to liars, on both sides, and start doing what is smartest, all the time, hippy kids with cameras will have all kindsa things to make documentaries about. sit back and look at everything involved and look at everything correctly. the answer is always somewhere in the middle. you have passion. good on ya, but always look at the big picture. if only one view is allowed, it's a dicatorship. this kid only allowed one view. Lark.

well said str8shot.

silent, it doesn't matter much who voted how right now. right now the gas drillers have the the law on their side, at least somewhat. they have the money and money is what decides how these guys on the hill vote. after the fact doesn't matter much. ya hafta change the law. pretty hard to do once it's enacted. especially when you figure out how many folks are employeed by it. any moron can see that at least some of what has happened ain't right. another thing to look at is, what kind of fix did this hippy guy have for the situation? did he have any kind of a remedy? nope. all he had was cheney bad, haliburton bad. when they got behind this natural gas deal, all the treehuggers and everyone was for it, because it was "natural" gas. it's clean. no emissions. heck, they talked like it would cure cancer. it's still a hydrocarbon. everything has a price. it might be a price in money, it be a price in consequences. natural gas is mostly methane. you can refine it and get propane and butane and some other stuff, but it is mostly methane. you know what else makes methane don't ya?