lugnuts

New Mexico Blue Range Wilderness Unit 23

My group was lucky enough to draw NM Archery Elk tags in Unit 23 this year. I have horses and am interested in the Blue Range Wilderness. We have the gear to pack in for the week, but I am wondering if it is worth it. I can see from the maps that I have that there is water in there, but can anyone confirm that we will be able to count on it being there in Sept? What about horse feed? I will be going up there over the long 4th of July Weekend and was wondering if anyone has any info on this area. Thanks.

there will be big bulls in there for sure in september. as far as packing in, you can probly just camp at the end of a road and ride in each day, or even walk. be dang nice to have a horse to pack em out with. white streak mountain and all that country has big bulls in it. i know a guy that got one on the Az side 2 years ago that goes near 390. it ain't like some areas with huge herds of elk, but there are big bulls in fair numbers and you can hunt it. as far as feed, pack in a bag o' pellets. water will be your main concern. Lark.

Lark,

Thanks for the advice. I am being told I need to be mobile for this hunt from pretty much everyone, so I should probably listen. I am thinking we will camp outside the wilderness area. From there we can ride horses into that area or go check out other country. That way we dont have to worry about water and feed. Hopefully I can post up some pictures at the end of September!

main thing you need to be is tough. that is rough country. there good places to camp between the stateline and the highway on the blue post office road and then down by alma mesa too. it's a skinny area there, but there are some good bulls. on to the south of alma mesa there is some good elk country too. cow calls work real well. Lark.

Hey lugnuts, Did you draw 1st, 2nd, or 3rd season? We got lucky and drew as well and we are hunting the 1st season. Would be interested in talking more! We are also interested in hunting in the Blue Wilderness Area. It will be here before you know it!

I’d like to see a DIY rather than the highest bidder take the next toad out of these units.

Anyone with a unit 23 NM elk tag. Here’s your lucky day wanna see monster bulls in a unit everyone calls a hard hunt. Want to see them off the highway? Instructions, waypoint, and areas of interest below. Most honest piece of honey hole elk country you’ll read today.

The bull pictured, no joke was killed right by the highway. Everyday countless people drive by and think nothing of it. Right off highway 180w and the mangas road is where you’ll find these beasts. They spend a lot of time in both 24 and 23 bouncing in and out of private. Look on any imaging system and you see the depressions east of agua alto water tank and there erosion dams the elk go all about these low desert ridges from the Tyrone mine to blacksmith canyon. You’ll find them repeatedly in up the deep draw near Fleming canyon. The 24 side is hard to hunt them unless their in one of the checkerboard areas of public but the 23 side is easy. Park off the highway where the little piece of Forrest touches 180 or go around and walk in from the saddle rock side. Big bulls dominate this area.

Here’s an onx way point to get you in the right area.

32.77611, -108.48253

You can go farther south and find elk all the way to edge of the mountains and desert but they get much harder to find. In mangas there’s a large herd/herds that live there and are easy to find.

Go smash a toad.