Sign in to follow this  
bmf1321

solar panel for 6v camera setup???

I have an old Moultrie 6v camera with the alligator clips and want to use a solar panel to power it. Does anyone have experience with this setup? Do I need a battery? If so, does it need to be a rechargable or can I run a standard battery? Does the solar panel recharge the battery or power the unit? Thanks.

Ive run a couple, 6 and 12v. On my cams Ive used a SLA (sealed lead acid, rechargable, same ones that go in exit lights) battery connected to the camera and panel (either 6 or 12) I have normal batteries in my cam too. They last 6+ months. I wrap my sla battery in reflectix to help insulate if it is going to snow. Not sure if it help, but it cant hurt. I place my panel facing south around a 45 degree. I only use it in places that take a long time to hike into.

I have used the same set up you metioned, moultrie and solar. You need to buy a rechargable battery and make sure the sunlight actually hits the panel a few hours a day. I had a problem in the pines with too much shade, however the little solar panel kept my battery charged and taking pictures for 5 months with no problems.

My experience has been that when the rechargable 6 volts sit for the off season they go bad and wont accept a charge.