Sign in to follow this  
treemarshal

12E rifle early hunt

I am definitely excited about drawing a kaibab tag. I went scouting this weekend and went expecting to see as many deer as i saw about 4 years back. I was a little disappointed. I did see deer but most on the 12W side. Some of the areas i remembered were very overgrown and to thick to really rifle hunt. I know its still early but the trip has me scratching my head. Has anyone been up there and experience the same thing.

By overgrown and thick, I'm assuming you mean the burn. Big bucks love overgrown and thick, little tougher to see in there, but they are there. Don't overlook off the plateau, even on the early hunt there is always a couple of good ones on the side already.

thanks! I talked to a few hunters that hunted the area last year and they both said they hunted below the first couple of days without seeing anything. I am considering taking a few cameras to checkout a spot a buddy told me about. I checked and glassed that area first before going on top. saw nothing and no sign anywhere. Im thinking maybe things will change after the archery season gets underway. On top saw a few but 12w side seems to be holding most of the bucks from what i observed.

No doubt it is tougher to find them off the top during that early hunt, but they are there. Had a buddy pass a 170 class buck all they way down in the flats during that early hunt last year. I agree though, definitely more deer on the W side early. Good luck.

thanks for the info. Im gonna give it my best shot. Not sure when the next time I will draw a kaibab tag so trying to go all out and take advantage of my tag. Any info anyone may have is greatly appreciated. Gonna be making scouting trips back and forth but kinda feel like im starting from scratch since so much has changed since the fire.