Sign in to follow this  
huntswnm

Non-Resident Question

I am thinking about hunting Coues archery this winter in AZ. I looked on the Game and Fish website, but still have a couple of questions. Do I need to purchase both the General Hunting License and the archery deer non-permit tag? If this is so, why? So, I would be looking at about $240.00??? Also, I live in SW NM and so I was thinking about hunting in either unit 27 or 28. Any ideas on these units, right along the NM/AZ border?? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

To answer your first question; Yes, you have to purchase a regular hunting license, as well as the deer tag. To answer your second question; I don't know why.

Ideas on 27 or 28, sorry I can't help much there other than to say; I hear there's lots of deer over there. Never hunted that part of the state myself though. There's a few locals on here that may pipe-up though.

Good luck!

S.

I'd suggest you wait till January and you'll have all of the 2006 (Jan, Aug & Dec) seasons and over 70 days to hunt for that price.

Unit 27 has very short seasons due to the high success ratio of bowhunters in that unit.

Unit 28 does not have a lot of Coues.

units 29 and 31 are close and hold a lot of Coues.

Check out AZ game and fish web site, unit hunting reports, for good info on all AZ's hunt units

$244 is cheaper than my January NM unit 23 nonresident deer tag/license ($316) and it's only good for one unit and 16 days and is only good that deer. The Az general license allows you to hunt all non game animals too.

Dan

Jeff,

Welcome the site. Where are you located? I'm in Cruces and hunt AZ most years.

I wouldn't count on the price over there being the same as this year. With all of the USO crap they will raise the prices and I'm not convinced that NR will be allowed over the counter tags anymore. Keep an eye on the AZG&F website for details.

Kevin

Thanks for all the good information guys. I understand the point made about the number of days relatd to the cost! That is one of the reasons I am considering it.

Kevin: I am in Silver City. I have drawn a Unit 24 Coues tag for Jan 1-15 here in NM, first time to hunt coues. Never hunted them but from the scouting and shed hunting I think I am already hooked!

Jeff