Sign in to follow this  
hunter4life

Northern NM hike

Last weekend I went on a hike up in Northern NM to try and see some bugling elk. As I was hiking up the mountain chasing bugles, I smelled something dead and figured for sure it would be a wounded archery elk. I followed my nose and my dog and found this dead bear. He looked to be pretty good sized and had a big head on him. It looked to be a month or two old.

I saw a few deer, including 2 bucks that were sparring. I then snuck in on multiple bugling bulls and saw a bunch of elk. Each herd had a bull and several satellite raghorns on the periphery. I managed to take video of a few with a little flip video recorder through my spotting scope. The last one I called in with a cow call. The video is without magnification and he came up to about 5 yards before my dog got a little nervous and let out a few quiet warning barks. She pretty much ignores elk, but one bugling at 5 yards was too close for her.

deer2.jpg

deer1.jpg

bear3.jpg

bear2.jpg

bear1.jpg

Link to my video on you tube. I was making the title today and forgot that it was still September when I took the video. If you turn the volume way up you can hear the bugles.