Sign in to follow this  
ramirez0321

rattleing

U may get lucky and draw in a young one but other then luck all yur really doing is making the seasoned bucks aware u are there.

Heck yeah you can call in a big buck in October! Deer are naturally curious and if a big buck hears some major sparring going on, he will probably come to investigate. Never done it myself yet but I sure plan to this december.

Last year, opening morning I got a very nice 4x4 while sparring with another nice buck.

They started right at dawn, and I waited a few minutes for better light so I could study the two--the slightly bigger one went in the freezer (and became another rack mount). I have done only Oct. hunts for 16 or 17 seasons, and never witnessed this before.

From what I've heard, imediately after losing their velvet, the bucks testoserone levels will begin to increase which will cause them to be more standoffish towards other bucks. The bucks will begin to establish dominance. The only thing they are waiting on is for the does to come into estrus. TAM and I watched some bucks sparring in October last year as well. They were little forkies though.

I have seen a lot of smaller bucks sparring on the early hunts.But I Do not recall ever seeing one over 80 points. Of course there is always exceptions to the rule.And the little ones were never having a knock out fight.

Noel

Heck Greenie, we're WESTERN whitetail hunters here. There may be a few of us with experiece on rattling, grunting and sitting in trees. Personally, I think this is how and where the monster Coues bucks of the future will come from.

Mostly on this forum we debate if sitting in trees can be better than spot and stalk.

Not too often do we get into the nuts and bolts details about the finer points that the Eastern whitetail hunters have been fine tuning for decades,

I'm sure there are some guys here that know some good stuff - if you can squeeze it out of em. I think reading Eastern whitetail tecniques in magazines and testing them out is not as crazy as it sounds.

If I knew more about rattling I'd tell you. But I don't. I've experimented with no results. Maybe I'm scaring them away? Don't know. But I'd bet there is a whole world of things to learn about exploiting this animal behavior.

Good question.

Mike