Steve and I have Archery hunted together for years but we went our separate ways when he went to a front loader and I stuck with archery.

This story started on my 2004 archery hunt in 22. I knew there were some scattered Coues in this unit from hunting muledeer with Steve for over ten years. We looked thru maps and discussed where we had seen flashes of Coues deer in the past. I scouted the area several times and never actually saw a Coues deer but there was plenty of sign that Coues deer were in the area. I set up my treestand where I thought would be the most productive area. I sat that treestand and still hunted the area for eight days during my archery hunt never seeing a Coues deer. Passing up several impressive muledeer waiting for my chance at a grey ghost. :D

After my hunt Steve and I would discuss the Coues deer in that area for the 2005 season. Well I got lucky enough to draw the Burro Mountain Archery hunt for 2005 so unit 22 went by the way side. :D But Steve drew the unit 22 muzz hunt so here about a month ago we started talking about his hunt. Steve is not a so called "Coues deer hunter" he is basically a meat hunter very rarely passing deer for a wall hanger. So he was planning on hunting low for muleys. The subject came up about my archery hunt last year and where he would have an opportunity to hunt a Coues deer if he decieded to head up high. I told him of the area where I had hunted, an area he knows very well, and told him what I would do different if I had that hunt again. Well that was that, he headed out for his hunt and came back to work with pictures of this beast. :lol: I about fell of my chair when I saw the pix. :P He killed the buck on the ridge above my treestand. He said he had walked that entire area with his son and that he was headed back towards the 4x4 when the beast and a smaller buck show themselves across a cut, 180 yards away. He told me that at first glance he thought that they were does, he finally saw the horns and put a 385gr .54 cal slug thru him. :D The smaller buck just stayed there so his son put a 180gr .50 slug in that one. They came off the mountain with two Coues deer. He shows up to work with a chit eating grin on his face B) and throws the pictures at me. "Is that what you've been looking for for the last five years"? :( :(

Tommy,

Doesn't that just tick you off! Friends like that: man I swear, they make it look so easy. That is one heck of a buck though. Kick your friend a time or two for me!

Kevin

Tommy

With that attitude, it was sort of like rubbin salt in the wounds.

Darn nice deer though.

Yea talk about a toad! That is such a gorgeous buck! And will make a trophy of a life time! I hope i can connect on one half that size this year in Dec. Im starting to Get PUMPED!!!!