Sign in to follow this  
5.8L95f150

feild dressing the deer

my first deer hunt starts in 6 days it is in unit 30A and i still dont know exactly where i want to hunt the first day. i plan to stay out there for 3 to 4 days i just could not scout it in time( i went to the scoutting in one area and did not find anything, because there were some mountain lions in the area. that was what a hunter told me that lives down there seid) i plan to go down to skeleton canyon or outlaw mountain. thats what one hunter told me on this site. any other good ideas. also is there a glan or something that must be removed ASAP after you shot the deer so you don't spoil the meat?

thanks again,

hey 5.8,

i wouldn't plan on going to skeleton canyon because it is blocked off and there is pretty much no way to get into there. You sound pretty new to this area. This area holds some pretty nice bucks but they don't show themselves a whole lot. There are a lot of average sized bucks though. If you are not looking for anything real big i would try to get into rucker, which is in the chirachua's. you should find it on a map. I can't really explain to you how to get to the big bucks because you have to go through a lot of private property and it would not be easy for a guy new to the area. I remember hearing you say something about the dos cabeza's. From what i hear they hold some good deer but you have to kow the right areas, but if you asked around in willcox a little bit im sure someone would give up some info.

creed

Creed, when did Skeleton Canyon get blocked off? Been a while, but last time I went there it was open. Did the Snure ranch (I think that was the name) close off their private land?

Also, is FS route 63 (Geronimo Trail) still open to Outlaw Mtn area? I have seen alot of good bucks in that area in the past. The Peloncillo's use to be a lightly hunted, little known goldmine for Coues. I do know that some of the ranchers sold out in that area to subdividers, but I hoped it wouldn't effect access to forest service.

I'm the one that suggested that area to him, along with north of Ft. Bowie (BLM land).

I own land at the north end of the Dos Cabeza's and can say the deer are scarce, more lion sign (and dead cattle) than deer sign. I wouldn't waste my time on any of the BLM or state holdings north of the Camelsback (I have heard good things about Camelsback Mtn. though, and I think you can access the area from Moore Ranch rd.)

And a huge portion of the north end is private, with a few grumpy ranchers, so if you're new to the area and especially new to Coues hunting, it could turn into an un-fun experience. You certainly should know who's land your on when you hop a fence in that area(that should apply anywhere, but especially there). There is gaurenteed access to BLM land into the Dos Cabeza's from the area of the town of Dos Cabeza (if you can call it a town :( ) I believe its 2 roads going to the comm. tower area.

never hunted Rucker area, or even been down there since the Rattlesnake fire, so can't comment on it, but it certainly is all forest service, once you get well away from the road. My guess would be that the Rucker area gets pretty busy do to easy access.

anyways, 5.8, as I said in your original thread, if you would like to talk about areas i'm familiar with over the phone--say so here. A 5 minute conversation is Alot easier than typing all this crap out.

Edit to add-- 5.8, verify which hunt you have, also. You say your hunt starts in 6 days--but the Nov. whitetail doesn't start until the 11th-------there is a 30A mule deer hunt that runs the 4th-13th, though.

AZ Dave and 5.8,

They (the snure ranch) locked up last year right before the Nov. hunt you can still drive through their land and right by the house on the East side of the main road but that is all you have for access any more. You can still park by the old cemetary and walk into the west side but it makes for a long day. I have been down there twice this year and have seen a few decent bucks.

The Peloncillo's aren't in 30A are they? I have a tag for the Nov hunt and will be in the Pedegrossas. There is only one road for access that is not locked off and it takes over an hour to get there from the highway but it is worth the drive.

In the Dos Cabeza's isn't the road up to the towers still locked by the Klumps? I know that you can go in by the mine and up to the catchment, over to lion's park, or up sheep's canyon but that is the only roads that I know of that will get you somewhat close to the mountains. I have hunted them all frequently and had good success but with the areas so locked off there is just a ton of people even when you hike in.

As far as hunting the rucker canyon area you can with out too much trouble but make sure you are on the south side of the road or you will be in unit 29 instead of 30A. This area probably holds the most chance for some one new to the unit. I hunt 30A or 29 just about every year and think that there is amble opportunity but you have to work hard for it.

The Peloncillo's are definately in 30A--its a funky shaped unit.

Cramer---The G&F website, under unit info and antelope lists the Snure Ranch as being closed off for Skeleton Canyon access, just as you say, but they will let you through?

The Geronimo trail was still open and easy access several months back when I was in the Outlaw Mtn. area, and the G&F site still lists it as easy access to that area---hope it stays that way---I would deffinately have no reservations about hunting that area and north if I had a 30A tag.

There are two roads from the Dos Cabeza's town area that will get you up into the mtn.s without conflict--I thought one was the radio tower road--but may not be. Definately something to research before going--a G&F officer from the area would be an excellent source for up-to-date info. on road access. Kramer, if you know a for sure route in that area, should give it to 5.8---so we can try to keep him from getting anything "confiscated" by the unhappy ranchers. The Camelsback Mtn. area iv'e heard, from a deffinately knowledgeable local, has some monsters, and should have access off Moore Ranch rd. May be worth a look.

As I said in 5.8's first post a few weeks ago, the Dos Cabeza's (and 30A)can be a tough area to hunt for a non-local, and especially one thats never hunted Coues before.

Thats why I recommended Forest Service areas, much harder for a newbie to trespass--for the most part.

Deffinately make sure you know what side of the road your on in the Ft. Bowie or Rucker Canyon areas, they are unit boundaries.

This is why I love unit 31--and I own a decent chunk of land in 30A, and am going to buy a bunch more, soon. :blink:

They will still let you through on the east side of the main road up into the canyon if you stop at the house and ask but the whole west side is locked up without exception all though they said I could walk in.

In the Dos you can still drive up the road that goes to the towers but it does not get you very far before the gate is locked. Still provides you with a lot of hiking opportunities.

AZDave do you own land around the Silver Strike area?

The only Peloncillo Mountains that I knew about are North of San Simon.

For first timers I would recommend lions park (happy camp on the map) and hike in towards Goverment Peak or off the Rucker road.

The last time I was on the Geronimo Trail you could still get through and the Outlaw mountain does hold some great deer.

Cramer, good to hear they will still let you in the Skeleton Canyon.

Oddly enough, the mountains north of I-10, Steins Peak area that you speak of are named the same as the range we are talking of in the Skeleton Canyon/Outlaw Mtn. area. Weird, isn't it? Not like they're extensions of the same range or something, in my opinion. But some maps do show them as one complete, long, range. Peloncillo Mtn. is actually just east of the south fork of Skeleton Canyon--on the state line.

My land is in the Zeits Canyon area at the north end. I border BLM on the south and the Klumps on the west (they hold a small patented mining claim chunk there). I'm hoping very soon to be adding to it. It goes from next to the cell tower at the top down into the canyon.

As a local of the area, i know a lot about this unit. From what i've heard, the skeleton area is being guided by different people but from what i've seen on the maps, only about a 1/4 acre of land is owned on the geronimo trail side of this area but that 1/4 acre parcel touches one gate on the road. The road that goes in from highway 80 is blocked right off thehighway. I love that area and its a real sad thing that it is blocked off. I shot my first coues in there and have seen a whole lot of big bucks, coues, mulie, and antelope. I have hunted this unit for the last five years. I am only 16 now and i have taken three bucks in this area. One spike, one 89-incher, and a 4pt mule deer. I'm hoping to take a good deer this year but more importantly hoping to have a good time, which i know i will. I will help my parents with their hunt tomorrow, their out there right now. I called them after school and they said all the deer they have seen is a huge whitetail buck and a small forked horn mulie with a bunch of does. Let me know how you guys do and ill let you guys know how i do. I'll probably hunt the pedregosa'a most of the upcoming hunt but i'll hit some secret hot spots in other places too. Good luck to you guys.

creed

I went into the Outlaw Mtn. area on Geronimo Trail a few months back with no problem---and the G&F site still shows it as access into the south end--so if something has changed recently (locked gates) ----we better let them know, because its probably not legit.

I went down into the Pedregrosa's this weekend to set up camp for my WT Nov hunt and there was a lot of mulie hunters in there but still managed to see a few does. I did not have a chance to get over into skeleton canyon area though.

Creed where were you at? I drive an 04 f-250 with a coueswhitetail.com sticker on the back window and I will be there starting thurs for the whole season or until tagged out, if you are still hunting stop by and say hi.

where exactly are you planning on camping. I'll be in there for sure but i'm not sure what day. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm not sure what i'll be in, probably my dad's old green dodge. You can't miss that big ugly toad. I was in that area hunting mule deer with my parents and saw one little buck this weekend.

creed

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
my first deer hunt starts in 6 days it is in unit 30A and i still dont know exactly where i want to hunt the first day. i plan to stay out there for 3 to 4 days i just could not scout it in time( i went to the scoutting in one area and did not find anything, because there were some mountain lions in the area. that was what a hunter told me that lives down there seid) i plan to go down to skeleton canyon or outlaw mountain. thats what one hunter told me on this site. any other good ideas. also  is there a glan or something that must be removed ASAP after you shot the deer so you don't spoil the meat?

thanks again,

Those are both good places. Skeleton can be accessed through the south side - Outlaw area - Hog Canyon is the trailhead. Use your binos a lot. The only "gland" that I can think of is the bladder - be careful. Good luck.

I have camp set up at the second gate past where you enter the forest right before you climb out into half moon valley. I will be going down tomorrow and my dad will be there off and on as well.

I shot my 89 inch buck right there. We parked back below the beacon but i walked to about there and saw plenty of does.That was the only buck i saw that day. I do have a feeling that you'll see plenty of other hunters though, but that won't keep you from seeing deer. Theres not a whole lot of other places to go so people will be all over that area. I was calling coyotes down in the flats before inbetween the highway and that those mountains during the october hunt. I heard a heck of a lot of shots in there but i never made it in there to see if there were any deer hanging in any camps.

creed