Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

Successful November

Looking back at it I thought I would share my "successful" November in the Coues mountains that I love. Its a little long winded, but its an entire month deer hunting.......

My November 2010 season started off with my early November hunt that I spent in the mountains in southeastern Arizona. I was able to hunt for six days and even though I didn't shoot a deer I was able to spend the time in the mountains that I love with my son, my brother, and my father. I was able to sit on the side of a quiet mountain (when the 8 year old was quiet) and not worry about life's stressors and enjoy what the mountains have to offer.

My son "glassing" the cows.....

post-499-1292997713_thumb.jpg

One of our hillsides

post-499-1292997788_thumb.jpg

"Camp" - Built by my grandfather in the 1950s...

post-499-1292997881_thumb.jpg

Our front "yard" for six days....

post-499-1292997965_thumb.jpg

Now I didn't just sit and relax...I was there for a purpose. We were glassing up deer everyday and seeing bucks every day, just not the ones that we were looking for. We did locate a nice buck on the last morning, and since I shot a deer last year he was offered to my dad first. My dad is getting up in years and getting around isn't as easy as it was in the past and the buck was about 900yds away so my brother got a crack at him. My brother took off and I stayed on glass watching where I last saw him. My brother worked his way across the canyon until he got about 350yds from him. At that point, the two unseen does worked their way up the hill to the exact spot where the buck was and he exited stage left. Oh well...that's why its called deer hunting. After seeing close to 100 deer and numerous bucks our season was over, but it was successful and I learned something new again.

After a couple of weeks of rest, I was back out in the hills. This time I was out helping a fellow member on his son's first coues deer hunt during a junior hunt. My son tagged along as well. I wasn't able to get out to help until their last day, but at 9:30am we had his son's very coues deer on the ground!

Then a co-workers hunt started on the late November hunt and he asked my brother and I to come help him out. We were only able to make it out for the last day of his hunt. The wind was howling that morning and it was cold (cold for southern Arizona). At about 8:30 that morning my brother picks up two bucks working their way across/up a hill at about 1000yds away. My co-worker and his buddy set out to get closer. As my brother and I continue to watch the bucks we bed them down near the top of the hill. While we wait, I pick up movement above the two bucks. I immediately noticed the antlers...this buck was one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen. We were able to get my co-worker on the radio and after several frustrating minutes of trying to tell him where the buck is at he finally finds him. Then the waiting begins....shoot....shoot...shoot....thats all that was going through my mind! After what seems like an eternity..."BOOM"...dust.....the buck just stands there....then "BOOM"....more dust...the buck then decides to leave the area. My co-worker checked the area...nothing...clean misses.

Three different hunts and one deer (a first deer) down and a lifetime of memories. Thats what I call a successful November 2010.