New to this forum, I've visited the website many times, I think this is the most valuable source of Coues deer info available...... Hat's Off to You!

My question is this, I know 2006 is probably a pipe dream to get a tag on the San Carlos for Coues. I am thinking and saving some money hopefully with a chance at a tag in 2007. I've hunted unit "A" for pigs and Unit "C" for pigs so I have a pretty good idea of how the units are laid out. If money was no object based on The San Carlos prices for a tag, what UNIT, and what Hunt dates would you choose and why?

New to this forum, I've visited the website many times, I think this is the most valuable source of Coues deer info available......  Hat's Off  to You!

My question is this, I know 2006 is probably a pipe dream to get a tag on the San Carlos for Coues.  I am thinking and saving some money hopefully with a chance at a tag in 2007.  I've hunted unit "A" for pigs and Unit "C" for pigs so I have a pretty good idea of how the units are laid out.  If money was no object based on The San Carlos prices for a tag, what UNIT, and what Hunt dates would you choose and why?

Ive hunted san carlos for alot of years and Ive hunted every unit except D west. All of them carry great bucks so It really doesnt matter, each unit can be very rough country or each can be easy, its just a matter of what you want and what you like.

jlhcoues

Welcome to the forum Vbraley!

Try searching "San Carlos" in the search function. I seem to recall Amanda posting some info about 2-3 months ago for another question. Good info as I recall.

I actually have a San Carlos tag which opens this Saturday. And, as jlhcoues stated, it depends on what you want out of your hunt, along with what you are going to put into the hunt.

The San Carlso is vast in both area and topography, offering such a beautiful and diverse landscape. So the questions would be, "what do you want out of your hunt? What are your expectations if you were to hunt the San Carlos in 2006 or 2007? Let us know and we will look forward to hearing back from you!

Best of luck and welcome!!

Vbraley,

As stated earlier, San Carlos is very diverse. You could hunt WT's at 2200ft elev in Chapparal and octillo to hunting in PJ, Pondi forests and Schrub oak country at 7000ft. A, B, C and D units are all excellent in my book. I try to hunt places others may over look. Born and raised as a little "shboy" on SC rez, I still have places that I have not covered in my boots.

Should you obtain a couz tag don't forget to buy a Mtn lion tag. I cannot tell how many times I talked to Non-members that did not purchase a tag and had to pass up on a "maha" lion. Good luck fella......... :D

Vbraley,

As stated earlier, San Carlos is very diverse. You could hunt WT's at 2200ft elev in Chapparal and octillo to hunting in PJ, Pondi forests and Schrub oak country at  7000ft. A, B, C and D units are all excellent in my book. I try to hunt places others may over look. Born and raised as a little "shboy" on SC rez, I still have places that I have not covered in my boots.

Should you obtain a couz tag don't forget to buy a Mtn lion tag. I cannot tell how many times I talked to Non-members that did not purchase a tag and had to pass up on a "maha" lion. Good luck fella......... ;)

Thanks guys for your input. just got a reply from the Game and Fish/Rec department and 2006 schedule and tag allotment is still in work. Could possibly be a 2006 hunt. probably most familiar with Unit "A", plus closer than the others to home for possible day trips if needed for scouting. Thanks again.