Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

NM Hunter Education

Just a heads up for any youths that intend to take New Mexico Hunter Education this year:

1. All students must sign up for a CIN number through the Game and Fish Website prior to registration for a class. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ This is a simple process that you would have to complete prior to appying for a NM hunt anyway.

2. All class registration occurs online; no more waiting in line to register. Once you have a CIN, you can register for a class in any County at your convenience.

3. My team will have classes at the Las Cruces Game and Fish office on the following dates:

February 5th and 6th

Feburary 26th and 27th

March 19th and 20th

4. Other Dona Ana County teams will hold classes March 4,5 and 6th and March 10, 11, and 12th.

5. Other classes will occur when volunteer instructors are available.

6. All of these classes will occur in time for you to recieve your Hunter Ed number for the 2011 application deadline.

7. For classes in other counties, please see the NMG&F website Hunter Ed webpage for dates and times.

If you have any questions contact me through this website.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for being an instructor for Hunters Education! My daughter went through it up here in Silver City a little over a year ago and there was way more demand than room. My hats off to those who give their time to teach the young ones!

Jeff

Jeff, thanks! I enjoy teaching the classes and you are right, there is always more demand than available instructors. My team usually teaches 4-6 classes a year with 40 students per class. That's about all the time we can come up with. I would encourage anyone that can, to become certified instructors and help out.

Kevin

At the time my job, firefighter, wouldn't allow me the time to teach with a rotating schedule. I am now in Administration with more "regular" work hours so I am thinking about volunteering. I have 2 sons that will be needing it in several years so I might look into it.

The other thing is the two guys who taught my daughter's class were the same ones who taught me about 25 years ago I think. I mean I am glad that they do it, but two older men have a hard time keeping the attention of 20 kiddos.

Jeff,

I hear you, some jobs just make it nearly impossible. With an unpredictable schedule like you have it would be pretty hard to commit time to the class. I spent almost 100 nights away from my family last year due primarily to work and then several to hunts. It is something folks have to commit to, just as the fellows that teach in Silver. The average age of that team is well over your age and mine added together :blink: Sadly, there is several people in the Silver are that are certified to teach the classes, but haven't had a class this year. I'll not name names! ;)

If you decide you have time to commit to the program let me know. I'd be happy to show you the ropes.

Kevin

Jeff,

I hear you, some jobs just make it nearly impossible. With an unpredictable schedule like you have it would be pretty hard to commit time to the class. I spent almost 100 nights away from my family last year due primarily to work and then several to hunts. It is something folks have to commit to, just as the fellows that teach in Silver. The average age of that team is well over your age and mine added together :blink: Sadly, there is several people in the Silver are that are certified to teach the classes, but haven't had a class this year. I'll not name names! ;)

If you decide you have time to commit to the program let me know. I'd be happy to show you the ropes.

Kevin

That would explain why it is so hard to get your kids in hunters ed in Silver. They have very few courses and they are always full, but it is usually the same guys teaching it. I wish I had more time in my schedule to allow me to do it. Appreciate the instructors who are certified and actually hold classes. ag