Guest Guest_bill

anyone done this before?

Guest Guest_bill

I am interested in trying this and wonder if anyone has done this before. I would like to try it but dont know how to go about it. If anyone could give me some tips about this it would help.

I have been handgun hunting for a few years now and I still havent been drawn for anything with a rifle yet so I guess I would be considered new to this. I have done a lot of coyote hunting with pistols though, and let me tell you, it is fun. (I even got my wife into it, she is shooting my 357 mag!)

Start off, pros and cons. Pros you have both hands free at all times unless you are shooting. Less weight, I feel it is more convenient, more challenge. I like it because you have to get closer than a rifle, but unlike bows, its hard for them to get away from a well placed shot. After I shot a mulie running from right to left from me at 300 yards with a rifle, I decided to try something else. That is when I went to pistols. Ive bowhunted since I could pull a 40 lb bow back and that is my most favorite, but pistols are a close second, I havent shot a rifle in over 4 years now.

Cons way less range than a rifle, no special season for them- you have to use them during rifle season. Also it is a little more room for error, it is at the end of your hands instead of having an anchor point, rifles have a stock that gos against your shoulder, bows have the string and a wider spread between hands so it is more stable.

Now, what gun? I shot my wifes 357 for years. That gun has taken out many coyotes and rabbits, a lot of those coyotes were from 70+ yards. Now I shoot a 454 casull which is basically a 45 long colt magnum. It has some range on it. I can shoot accurately to 200 yards. It is set up with a 2x6 scope so I can pinpoint those longer shots. At 200 yards I can group 10 rounds into a 3.5 to 4 inch circle, but I need a good rest and no wind, across flat land(rifle range).

The hangun you want depends on what types of hunting other than deer you will do. For deer a 357 mag or better will do the job fine, but for bigger animals, bears, or elk, I suggest a .41 mag or bigger (these animals have thicker skins and more power is needed, reason I own a 454 casull).

How would I hunt with them? I do the same things as archery hunting, still hunt or tree stand. Yes, you are shooting a gun, but remember you must get within your comfortable shooting range. A pistol has a very limited effective range as stated before, unless you shoot a TC which is a pistol that shoots rifle rounds.

It is great fun and anyone looking for a good challenge and doesnt archery hunt should try it at least once, even if you barrow a pistol and chase rabbits, there is nothing like it.

Good luck everyone

I have yet to kill a Coues with my pistol but I have killed a Javalina and a Coyote with my Thompson Center Encore in the .22-250 caliber. Like Galiuro Mtn Man said it is not as difficult as archery but just as fun.

It seems like I read an article that Dan King killed a monster Coues with a pistol a few years back..

Good luck,

Travis

Guest Ernesto C

I also harvest some predators and javelina with handgun,357 Mag. I havent try on deer yet. I know hunters that use bigger calibers for deer like 25-06,270 and 30-06 but with this handguns you must use wrist protection and you can cover a little more range.

It does not hurt to try,but yes using a handgun is challenging and fun too.

Thank you. Ernesto C.

I agree with galiuro mountain man on his picks for calibers. I also shoot a 454 casull myself. My gun is a Taurus model 454 Raging Bull. It has great ballistics and is cappable of cleanly killing anything in Az. I load 300gr. Hornady XTP's with 30 gr. of H110. That is the most accurate load I have found yet. I have rolled a couple of coyotes with it so far.

The 454 I have is the hunter editon raging bull. I shoot the 240 grain hornadays through it. It is an awsome pistol. I put a 2x6 power scope on it and now I am very acurate out to 200 yards when I shoot with a rest.

1 question 300 wsm, When you shoot more than 3 times at once, does your brass get stuck in your cylinder to where you have to give it a pop to eject it? Mine has done this since I got it, but my granpa's doesnt. I am going to try to polish it lightly with flitz and see if it works, but if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Hey galiuro mountain man the polishing might help. Are you loading yourself or shooting factory? My guess is the loads might be a little bit more than your gun wants and the brass is expanding too much. It did happen to me a couple of times when I was loading 30.5 grains of h110 but now that I am at 30 gr it doesnt happen.

The polish worked!! I went to the range on the first to zero it in for lion hunting this month and they dont get stuck anymore. I am shooting 240 gr hornaday hallow points, and they are hitting good!! Now all I have to do is get a lion within 200yds long enough to set up my rest and I can get him. Have you used the 240 hornadays yet? I have noticed a big improvement in performance from the 260's I was shooting. I sighted in 1 inch high at 100 yards, now at 200 I have way less drop! My groupes are tighter also, all within 3 inches instead of 5. and this is with 10 rounds! I have to admit, this Taurus is awsome, I dont have near the accuracy with my Ruger 357 mag, and for some reason it is funner to shoot!

GMM