Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_fisher_hunt

hunting rub lines?

Guest Guest_fisher_hunt

I found a great place that has 9 tree rubs within a 50 yard stretch. All are old but two are fresh rubs. I have found rubs before but just one here and there, never have I seen this many so close together. The two fresh ones are on two good size trees.

My question is when to these coues deer make these rubs? And when do they visit these rubs? I think I remeber reading that they only visit rubs at night, but I'm not sure and that could have been info on eastern whitetails.

I'm also not sure on how I should approach this area. It's thick so I would have to set up in the area, I can't spot and stalk. Is it worth it for me to just set up and wait?

Thanks for your time and any info is helpful!

Guest MIke

If these are deer rubs, I would put a treestand up if possible, put some deer cocaine down and wait for those bucks to be following those does that will visit the cocaine. I have lots of proof that deer preffer the cocaine over salt pellets.

Guest Ernesto C

Fisher_hunt,the rubs are usually made before the rut,around the first two weeks of december or late november;the bucks are getting ready for the rut, for the fighting and they are marking their territory. Probably all those rubs were made by the same buck but the old ones are from prior years.

Bucks not only visit the rubs at night,they also visit them during the day,the may come and check the rub up to three times in one day but also the may spent up to two days with out checking them;so the best time to get him is before the rut is in full swing because it may take him longer to come to this rubs because he already has does but eventually he will show up.

This is the time and place where you should put a treestand,if possible mark a trail with a orange and/or flourescent tape so you can get there in the dark (of course take your flashligth) and plan to stay there ALL DAY LONG,return to your truck/camp in the dark.

Now is there an area close to this rubs that has some openings or where you can see well up to 40 or so yards? maybe that's the place to hide and wait for him to walk by,make sure you watch wind direction.

The answer to your question if it is worth it,that you must find out for your self;how??

DO IT and you will see,wether you harvest a buck or not you must make your hunt enjoyable,make out of your hunt a great adventure. Thank you and God bless you.

Ernesto C.

Guest Guest_fisher_hunt

Mike, the rubs are not in elk country. They are deer rubs.

Ernesto C, thanks for the info! The rubs are right next to a clearing, but the only cover in the clearing would put me out of bow range. I did spot a tree big enough for a tree stand that was right on the trail and between the two fresh rubs. I don't have a tree stand so I might try making a ground blind or build a treestand. I think I will try sitting and waiting for this buck after Christmas, I will let you all know how it went.