Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Unit 1 birds - youth

I took my oldest son out yesterday to check out a couple of spots that have always been good in the past and the sign was scarce to non-existent. We started out from McNary down to Los Burros, checking past "hot spots" along the way, took the 96 across and checked out Pancho Springs, right on down to the low country. Turkey sign was old to non-existent in all the places that usually have great populations in early Spring.

I've heard good things about 3C, but that's no longer in the youth OTC hunt. Anybody else finding sign in the higher elevations? Not looking for specific spots, but are they higher/lower maybe more along the black? Wasssup with the birds?

I've been out and about quite a bit and seen lots of turkey and lots of activity. They seem to be getting after it. Hint, (not low).

Thanks for the replies. This morning I had to stay close to town. On our first setup we had a jake coming right in to the decoys. He strutted and gobbled right at the edge of the opening we were sitting. I messed up and suggested that Matt take the shot but it turned out to be a little far. I sure wish I had just kept calling. I think he would have kept coming right in. Oh well, we'll try again. Might have to go up higher tomorrow.

was up in 27 last weekend...called in one tom (alone) sunday after the snow dropped saturday. saw some turkey droppings.. everything was up high.

No luck here. We were out in the field (Unit 1) by 3:30 for three days and never heard a peep! Ran into a flock of around 10 birds but no shots. Will try again in a week or so.

The seem to be a little more isolated this year, for lack of a better word. Areas I've always found good sign in had none this year, but go over a ridge or two and there is a lot - but in just a small area. Not sure why - same feed, same water, everthing. I've also not seen large groups this year. A couple jakes or young toms, etc kinda doing the solo/bachelor thing. I think the older birds have the hens and are keeping quiet about it. I'll be back out there with Matt tomorrow. I sure hope we can get his tag filled. This 3 AM thing is for the birds ;)